We are looking to relocate to Frisco Texas.

Asked by Rich, New York, NY Sat Sep 22, 2007

Should we deal directly with a builder or employ the services of a realtor? Do we have more negotiating power going it alone?

Answers

17
Grant Howell,…, Agent, Frisco, TX
Tue Sep 25, 2007
If the REALTOR® you choose has never worked for a builder and actually built homes, they are NOT
a New Construction Expert!!!

Did you know builders figure Realtor® commissions into the cost of building your new home and that builders do not reduce the price of your home because you do not use a Real Estate Agent?
In the state of Texas, any compensationom given to a REALTOR® is recognized by the builder as a marketing fee and has no impact on the final cost of the home you buy. Interestingly, the realtor's compensation is also the Builders way of providing Buyers with the ability to have representation by a knowledgeable Realtor®.

DON'T FORGET, the salesperson works for the builder and has their best interest in mind, NOT YOURS!

Are you buying the right lot, in the right subdivision, from the right builder? I was a homebuilder and I use my knowledge to ensure you buy from reputable builders and that you know exactly what your buying. From lot selection thru plan review, I will be there for you.

Do not be fooled by fake "discounts" -- where the costs of incentive packages have merely been tacked on to the sale price of the house. For the most part, only industry "insiders" truly know what it costs to build your home and the builder's profit margin. Trying to negotiate without this important information will almost guarantee you will pay too much. Because I am a industry insider, I can save you thousands of dollars on your new home purchase.

Having a Realtor® is a clear message to potential Home Builders that they must compete for your business. Having an experienced Builder and Realtor® Lets them know you mean business!!!

a New Construction Expert!!!

SHOULDN'T YOU HAVE REPRESENTATION TOO?

I know you are building not only for today ... but for tomorrow.
Web Reference:  http://GrantHowell.com
Diane Glander, Agent, Spring Lake, NJ
Sat Sep 22, 2007
Builders can only show you their homes, Realtors can show you all homes. As a buyer, you don't pay the commission, the sellers do. The negotiating power you will have with an agent will be based on his/her knowledge of the local market conditions. Sales prices are based on comparable sales. An agent can help you there. Going it alone without representation will not save you any money and may cost you as most sellers have experienced agents working on their side.
Web Reference:  http://www.dianeglander.com
Brad Holden, Agent, Frisco, TX
Thu Jan 3, 2008
Well, if you have done your homework about the area, by yourself would save you bumping up price for a real estate commission. If you have no idea, find a realtor that has sold a house in that area.
Patrick Jack…, Agent, McKinney, TX
Sat Sep 22, 2007
Who is working for you? The builder's reps work for the builder and only get paid when they sell one of their homes. That home may or may not be the best fit for your family and your unique needs. Most likely, they are only going to sell you one house. Who are the builders looking out for? It is not my intent to make builders out to be the bad guys. There are some great builders in North Texas and the best ones actually love Realtors because they know that we represent multiple sales and through recommendations to other agents in our offices, potentially hundreds of sales. We are an extension of their sales force. We just don't rep them exclusively and we negotiate on your behalf, not theirs.

Builders pay our commissions from funds that they allocate for advertising a community, not a specific house. Our commission doesn't affect the price, discounts or upgrades that might be available. If a builder's rep tells you he can make you a better deal without a Realtor, remember that it's the reps advertising budget that our commission is cutting into, not the builder's profit on the house.

Frisco straddles the "Golden Corridor" north of Dallas and Plano. Built around a tiny farming community crossroads, the area now bustles with malls, a minor league baseball stadium, a world class soccer stadium, corporate headquarters, and residential communities from urban style condos to multi million-dollar estates. If you want to be part of the growth area of Dallas, this is it.

On the other hand, you may have heard lots about Frisco, but missed the quiet neighbor to the east. McKinney is the Collin County seat and represents "Main Street America" and a little more relaxed residential environment. McKinney has mansions and estate homes, but they are nestled in an area of more rolling hills and master planned communities. There are 7 golf courses in the McKinney area including the new TPC at Craig Ranch. The Cooper Aerobics Center at Craig Ranch is a 75,000-square-foot fitness center and spa dedicated to exercise and wellness. Stonebridge Ranch is the largest master planned community in the Dallas area and features wide paved paths through miles of residential communities, greenbelts, parks and lakes. The old town square in McKinney is home to antique stores, boutiques, and unique restaurants surrounded by historic homes from the turn of the century.

Whatever your preference...new, old, fast lane or leisurely stroll, I'm committed to serving your needs. I work for you!
Ronda Allen, Agent, Plano, TX
Sun Aug 22, 2010
Builders in our area know that Realtors do the due diligence to bring them pre-approved buyers with a great shot at actually being motivated buyers who intend to make a move. There isn't the guess-work of whether a buyer is truly serious or not. The builders typically pay for the services of the real estate agent, and that payday comes from an advertising account. I know in other states that isn't necessarily the case, but in the North Texas region, smart buyers have their own representation. It doesn't matter if you are buying a spec home the builder has finished on the ground, a partially finished spec, or breaking ground on a build job. I would never suggest going it alone. A good agent will be able to identify the right builder candidates for you based on your criteria, help you find the right neighborhood, help identify the right floorplan, possibly tweak the plans for best resale potential, attend your phase walk-thru's at framing and drywall, attend your final walk, help arrange a third-party inspection (beyond the builder's inspection), assist with trusted local lending sources, attend your closing and head off any issues at the pass. Heaven forbid that things go wrong with your new home, but that can happen. Having someone with your interests at heart can make all the difference.
Have a blessed day.
Ronda
, ,
Sun Aug 22, 2010
Please use a Realtor! The seller is who pays for them and they are worth any penny!
Laurie Kash, Agent, Flower Mound, TX
Tue Jul 14, 2009
I believe working with an agent has many advantages for the buyer.
Frisco has some good buys check out the newest listing at

Cypress Creek Subdivision
Priced to Sell.
Shows look a Model 2007 build
Barbara Capo…, , Frisco DFW Metroplex
Wed May 13, 2009
Hello Rich,
I started my Real estate career in New York back in 1984. I would definately say you need a Realtor! I have lived in Texas for 5 years, and can tell you, You need a Realtor! Builder's reps work for Builder's! I list homes constantly of Seller's that are way upside down in homes, because they bought homes from builder's without Realtor's! Realtor's are paid by the Builder to represent you as a buyer! Our commissions are built in. For example as a Realtor, and experienced, I have managed to get upgrades for seller's at no additional cost, where buyer's have paid. Most people out here do not live in homes as long as New Yorker's do and you cannot afford to be upside down!
Mark Chovan, , Frisco, TX
Thu May 8, 2008
I have lived in Frisco for 25-years and feel my knowledge in Collin County greatly benefits buyers. Builders usually have agent fees figured into their pricing, and I can rebate 1% to help you with closing costs.
There are allot of great deals in Frisco at this time, and I would be more than happy to work with you.
I offer comparative market analysis reports at no cost as well.
Web Reference:  http://www.bigdrelo.com
Dallas Texas, Agent, Dallas, TN
Wed Feb 27, 2008
Working with a professiona IS ALWAYS YOUR BES OPTION, in many instances we know the builder can get you better deals or upgrades. Also the fact you can fall under a realtor error & ommission insurance policy so if something does happen you have an E & O to fall back on a realtor who knows the "ropes of the trade"... I have heard many unhappy stories of families contact our office after the builder refused to go by what the contract stated.
Web Reference:  http://www.lynn911.com
Remax The Ri…, Agent, Highland Village, TX
Sat Feb 23, 2008
Have you made the move to the Dallas Texas area? Texas is much different than NY. We are from the midwest you will find that utilities are much higher. It is important to hire a good inspector who will look at the home,pest inspection and foundation etc!
Web Reference:  http://www.myhomedfw.com
Barry Buchan…, Agent, Rockwall, TX
Wed Nov 21, 2007
Deal with a Realtor. The Realtor will be able to get things for you that you will not know to ask for in buying from a builder. You are a one time transaction to the builder. The Realtor is a repeat customer many times over. The Realtor does not cost you a dime. Why would you not want free help that can save you money and get you the best deal?
Kyle Gowdy, , Frisco, Plano, Mckinney, Carrollton
Sun Nov 18, 2007
Definately use a Realtor. But pick a Realtor that has experience with builders and the building process. I know that when I was working for builders my objective was to make the most money for my employer not to protect the buyers best interest. I'm not here to try to sell you on me. Just talk to a few realtors in this area and pick one that you are comfortable with. There are many great Realtors in the Frisco area.

Best of luck to you.
Web Reference:  http://www.kylegowdy.com
Tim Tays, , Frisco,Plano,Mckinney,Allen,Richardson,Denton, Dallas,Fort Worth areas
Thu Nov 1, 2007
Use a Realtor that can save you money on the negotiating side and rebate 1% of purchase price to you at closing to help with your closing cost. I am in Frisco and familiar with the builders and inventory. I specialize in new home sales. Go to my website and give me a call.
Perry Hender…, Agent, Austin, TX
Tue Sep 25, 2007
Always go with the realtor... It'salways more efective to have a 3rd party negotiate.... Lawyers don't represent themselves...
Carolyn Corn…, , Tyler, TX
Tue Sep 25, 2007
I know a great Buyer's Agent in Frisco!
Bruce Lynn, Agent, Coppell, TX
Sat Sep 22, 2007
Read my website under new homes. Right now with the bonuses the builders are offering us to bring you in we can save you more money than going at it alone in many cases. Frisco is a great place to live. Very new city in most respects. There's some great deals on resales as well as new construction. Call me if you'd like expert negotiator in your corner.
Web Reference:  http://www.teamlynn.com