We are looking to buy a retirement home around 2300 sqft and $375,000 to $450,000 would like a waterfront, and would probably rent it out for a few

Asked by Joe, Navarre, FL Wed Feb 24, 2010

years, long term rental, where could we get a better rental return Ft Walton, Destin or Navarre and about how much?

Answers

8
Peter Mohyls…, Agent, Destin, FL
Thu Feb 21, 2013
The asking prices for waterfront is definately creeping up, not that it ever went down very much. The time to buy is now . It is a perfect storm with low interest rates, and deflated home prices. Interview several realtors, get one to set up a listing alert with your requirements and be ready to act when the property pops up on the market.
Rental rates are consistent with the three areas you mentioned. There won't be much in your price point in Destin unless you are willing to upgrade or remodel. Navarre waterfront is limited by the coast. Ft Walton and even Niceville might have a few properties in that range.
Wayne Myshin, Agent, Shalimar, FL
Thu Feb 21, 2013
There is a lot to this question, and I don't believe you can get an answer that easily.
There is a lot to consider in purchasing an investment property today to retire in later. I am certain that I would be able to assist you in your search for the property that most fits your needs and the type of market you wish to penetrate with you investment. What I prefer about the waterfront properties in Ft. Walton, is the access to the bay and eventually the pass to the Gulf. Navarre and Destin waterfront can be a little more difficult or cumbersome to get to the bay.
Myke Atwater, Agent, Santa Rosa Beach, FL
Thu Feb 25, 2010
Hello Mona, your best bet for rental return is probably going to be the Destin Santa Rosa Beach area. The properties are more expensive, although your rent will also be more. Here are a number of waterfront properties for sale: There are 7 properties that fit your description. If you would like, I would be happy to email them to you. If you would rather, you can also access the mls through my website--just go to my website and feel free to peruse at your leisure. When you are ready, let me know and we'll look at a few.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Myke Triebold, gRI, LMC
850-305-6256
MykeSaysSold@aol.com
http://www.DestinHomeRealtor.com
Web Reference:  http://www.MykeTriebold.com
Genevieve Ra…, Agent, Punta Gorda, FL
Thu Feb 25, 2010
Mona,
Some good answers here. Drive around find an area you like.

Port Charlotte was named #1 place to retire by CNNMoney.com and more recently by "Where to Retire Magazine". We are just south of Port Charlotte in Punta Gorda, and it certainly a piece of Paradise.

Punta Gorda too has been recognized by Money Magazine as a great place to live.

Genevieve Ramachandran
Punta Gorda Realty
Karen Kitzel, , Fort Walton Beach, FL
Thu Feb 25, 2010
Hi Mona:

One area may not yield a better return than the others. If you plan to rent it out to a single tenant year round (as opposed to a "beach" rental that is rented out weekly to vacationers) you would probably get a similar return in any of the three areas. If you'd like to contact me at karen.perrino@era-american.com and provide your email address I can send you some listings for consideration. ERA American offers property management and we have some great listings. I just looked at some super homes in Navarre last weekend that I can tell you about. Best of luck with your search!

Karen Perrino
ERA American Realty
karen.perrino@era-american.com
Bill Eckler, Agent, Venice, FL
Thu Feb 25, 2010
Hi Monica,

It sounds as if there is some doubt about the general location of your commitment....this is very normal.

Under these circumstances, we often advise our customers to visit the areas of their choice not for the purpose of selecting THE home but viewing each location for the quality of life that if offers relative to your needs.

It's often confusing when the two steps are take at once...finding an area and finding a home. Deciding on the location first can make your life a whole lot easier.

While you are looking, consider going a little further south to the Sarasota/Venice area where people often refer to their location as, Paradise!

Also, Tom Brokaw is doing a special on CNBC on Thursday, March 4th at 9pm on the "To 15 retirement locations in the country." Sarasota will be revealed as number 6 in his report. You may want to watch and find out why!

We hope you find this information helpful.

The Eckler Team
Michael Saunders & Company
billeckler@michaelsaunders.com
941-408-5363
Lyn Woods, Agent, Fort Walton Beach, FL
Thu Feb 25, 2010
Oh and I forgot. Our firm also offers Property Management Services.
Lyn Woods, Agent, Fort Walton Beach, FL
Thu Feb 25, 2010
Hi Mona,

A quick search of waterfront rentals show these 75 properties that rented from 1/1/2009:
http://ecarmls.com/EmeraldReports/ListitLib/show_report.aspx…

I would love to work with you to find the perfect waterfront retirement home. I am an Exclusive Buyer's Broker. That means that I work only with buyers and have no conflicts of interest with sellers. Please give me call or check out my website below.
Web Reference:  Http://KLWProperties.Biz