We are looking to buy a house in Framingham and am looking for any feedback about what parts of Framingham are better than others. pls help.

Asked by Amali, 01702 Fri Jun 3, 2011

I heard that north of rte 9 is better for families with kids, better schools etc.

Answers

11
Louis Wolfs…, Agent, Needham, MA
Tue Sep 20, 2011
Amali,

Did you ever buy anything? If so what area did you decide on and why?

Louis
Eric Rollo, Agent, Boston, MA
Tue Sep 20, 2011
After growing up and working in Framingham, I'm a firm believer that the school system is great, providing a diverse community for your children to learn in should you have any! A location south of Rt. 9 will be closer to Loring Arena, the local hockey rink, as well as the Little League Complex. There is also more water on this side of the town in terms of ponds and lakes/reservoirs.

The section of town north of Rt. 9 will provide closer access to amenities such as the high school and may provide easier access to the Natick Collection and other shopping amenities. Both sides of Rt. 9 offer various dining options, but most rest along the Rt. 9 corridor, excluding Gianni's Pizza (north of Rt. 9), one of the best slices of pizza I've ever had, and La Cantina (south of Rt. 9) boasting amazing family dining options. There are libraries on both sides town, and you will find the Metrowest Medical Center and family-owned establishments such as the Framingham Bakery and Tosti's Service Station, south of Rt. 9.

I hope this helps! Please don't hesitate to ask should you have any other questions!

-Eric
Eric Rollo, Agent, Boston, MA
Tue Sep 20, 2011

-Eric
Richard Shap…, , Framingham, MA
Wed Aug 3, 2011
Northside is more suburban and south is more urban but there are good schools and neigborhoods on both sides. One of the more popular elementary schools is McCarthy which is south of Route 9.

Framingham Schools still have choice so (for now) it doesnt matter where you live relative to the schools. There is one high schools so unless your child goes to the regional technical hs or private, all the kids wind up at FHS. I live north of Rt9 but my kids attended elementary school south of Rt9. Good luck in your search.
Anna Glebova, , Newton, MA
Tue Aug 2, 2011
All great advice here. It's important to know how you personally like the neighborhood, no matter what the statistics say (and that's why we as Realtors® cannot give you our opinion on the neighborhoods, just the facts). I've found that playgrounds are a really good place to meet other people who live in the area, talk to them directly, and get a "feel' for the neighborhood. I would suggest you drive around Framingham with your children, visit a playground or two, and talk to other parents there.
For example, visit Reardon Park, off old connecticut path in North Framingham, and Dennison playground off rt 135 in south Fram.
I would be happy to discuss this further with you.
Mary Lou Ess…, , Framingham, MA
Sun Jun 5, 2011
Framingham is a diverse, multi cultural town. It is actually the largest town in the USA. My suggestions would include, meeting with a Realtor and driving through the town. A knowledgeable Realtor can help with all of your questions and direct you to sites on line that will answer all your questions. Never "judge a town by it's cover" so to speak. Speak with area residents and visit the local shops. If you see a house you like, I would even recommned knocking on some neighborhood doors. My sincerest best wishes for your search.
Judy Boyle, Agent, Marlborough, MA
Sat Jun 4, 2011
Hi Amali,

Because of strict Fair Housing Laws, licensed real estate agents cannot "steer" consumers toward or against any particular town or neighborhood. We can provide you with the resources, however, so you can form your own opinion. All of the agents below have provided you with some of those resources. I would like to provide you with a few other websites that my clients report are helpful:

http://www.city-data.com/city/Massachusetts.html

http://framingham.patch.com/

http://www.epodunk.com/cgi-bin/genInfo.php?locIndex=2949

Nothing replaces a drive around town, however. I would recommend that you obtain a list of properties that meet your criteria and do a lot of "drive-by's". A local real estate professional can provide this list to you.

Best of luck! Please let me know if I can be of further assistance!

Judy Boyle
RE/MAX Signature Properties
Deborah Feld…, Agent, Framingham, MA
Sat Jun 4, 2011
As a long time resident and realtor of Framingham, I would be more than happy to educate you on the different areas of Framingham.

The websites that Greer provided for you are definitely a good resource, but you really need a tour of Framingham to point out the wonderful neighborhoods.

I would be more than happy to have a conversation with you and spend some time going over the different areas of Framingham.

Deb Feldman
Hammond ResidentIial
303 Worcester Road
Framingham, MA

508-277-3596
Louis Wolfs…, Agent, Needham, MA
Sat Jun 4, 2011
I like North Framingham better. But there are parts near the country club that are also nice.
Amy Mullen, Agent, Shrewsbury, MA
Sat Jun 4, 2011
Amali,

That is a great answer that Greer posted with some good links! There are many sources of information on the schools and crime stats. The other thing to look at is traffic patterns in relation to where you and your family will be traveling on a daily/frequent basis.

There are also several town around Framingham that have a lot to offer too!

Please call me when you have a moment and I would be happy to talk with you about your move. It's exciting to find a new place!

Amy
508-784-0504
amymullen@remax.net
Greer Swiston, Agent, Newton, MA
Sat Jun 4, 2011
Since everyone's criteria for "better" is different, a good way to identify a neighborhood that meets your criteria would be to check the various statistics that matter to you.

You asked about schools, you can look at school ratings at either at http://www.greatschools.org or perhaps check MCAS scores at http://www.doe.mass.edu/mcas/results.html (you'll need the ability to open an MS Excel spreadsheet file).

It is always best to call the police station and look up the crime rate for the neighborhood or signup at http://www.HomesWithGreer.com for some neighborhood information. (See recommended links)

Please feel free to contact me for more information. I am in Framingham quite frequently.