Jay, Home Buyer in South Miami, FL

We are looking to buy a house for the 1st time. Below are some of the criteria we have come up with. Can we please get some guidance?

Asked by Jay, South Miami, FL Tue Feb 12, 2013

1. Good School district. Close to A Public Schools.
2. Good Neighbourhood.
3. 3 Beds.
4. 1700 Sq Ft Living Area
5. Budget - around $200K
6. Easy commute to Airport (within 30 mins)
7. Ft Lauderdale, Davie, Pembroke Pines or nearby areas
8. Daily commute to Downtown Miami

Dear Jay,

The first step is two-fold:
1) get a good local realtor to discuss these neighborhoods
2) get pre-approved to see what type of property you have the ability to purchase.

Susan Penn, PA, SFR, CDPE http://about.me/HomesForSale_SusanJPennPA
EWM Realtors® | A HomeServices of America Company | An Affiliate of Berkshire Hathaway
2000 Main Street, Suite 103 | Weston, FL 33326
T: 954.306.7337 | C: 954.557.5993 | F: 954.515.0200 | penn.s@ewm.com | http://www.ewm.com
Hello Jay.
Pretty nice list! I would be more than glad to provide you with a list of properties which take into consideration all or most of your criteria. Have you been pre-approved by a lender? If not, I would be able to suggest some lenders who will tell you how much you qualify for and the type of financing you may get. These will help us find you the best matches.
Please feel free to give me a call or email me and I will help you with your home search and/or any other real estate needs or questions you might have.
Ingrid Gatto
The Keyes Company, Realtors
KTA Team
You definitely have the right idea, Pembroke Pines and Davie are great locations. My office is actually located in Pembroke Pines (Pines and 75)and the schools are excellent. I actually teach at Silver Trail (in Pembroke Pines) and I could offer you expert advice about the schools. Call me if you want to talk about the schools and the area. I happen to live in chapel trail off of pines and 184th. Don't feel pressured to use me as an agent, I love to talk education and real estate! 954-394-7185 Andrew
You may want to check out some of the articles we've written for 1st time buyers on our website http://www.garylisa.com. Get ready for a long haul, we have a client in that area for 4 months and just got beat out on the 4th offer. Even a conventional loan with 50 percent down is getting beat by lots of cash investors running around in that price range. The Broward County median price just rose to $208,000.
Web Reference: http://www.garylisa.com
I always recommend that my buyer clients get pre-approved right away so they know what they can and cannot afford. It is also helpful to know what type of financing the buyer qualifies for before beginning the search. Good luck!
Hi Jay: Your first step is to choose a professional Realtor that you feel comfortable with. I'd be delighted to help you find your first home - I work with many first time buyers and enjoy helping them and making sure that their homebuying experience is as stress free as possible. There's a lot involved and your first step must be to speak with a mortgage lender, who will review your financial situation and provide you with a pre-approval letter, which is pretty much essential these days when making an offer on a property.

I certainly know the areas you're looking at extremely well. I cover all of South Broward and we've lived and worked in Pembroke Pines for the past 15 years. My husband and I run our own boutique brokerage, Villa G Realty, and we specialize in first time buyers. We're extremely knowledgable, experienced and highly professional but we like to think we're pretty nice to work with! I make sure we're as accessible to our clients and fellow Realtors as possible - a key, but often missing compenent of our profession.

Feel free to call or email me and we can get the process started. If you don't already have a mortgage lender, I'd be happy to suggest some excellent people to you.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Warm wishes,

Villa G Realty, Inc.
Tel: 954-816-7996
Web Reference: http://www.villagrealty.com
Thank you for your inquiry. Nice list... shouldn't be hard to check many of the items on your wish list in the areas indicated. Please give me a call so we discuss in depth the next steps to make it possible.

Andre Shambley
The Andre Shambley Group
Jay, you've got a pretty good list. How are you planning on financing this purchase? Always happy to talk to a first time homebuyer.

Also, FIU is giving a free online course in applied real estate. If you have the time, it might make sense for you to take it. You can find the details in my blog.