We are looking to buy a house for affordable price, where is the best area to live in Indianapolis,IN?

Asked by Doug Goins, Indianapolis, IN Sun Mar 30, 2014

Answers

9
Melissa Diver, Agent, Fishers, IN
Mon Apr 21, 2014
Indianapolis has a lot of affordable housing. It would really depend on the size of home you are looking for. To get the most bang out of your buck lets do a criteria search for your needs or wants and see which part of Indy gives the best results. Contact me at mdiver@c21scheetz.com
Aja Johnson, Home Buyer, Indianapolis, IN
Mon Mar 31, 2014
This is just my preference, Ive lived in Indy for roughly 12 years. Carmel, In which is on the outskirts of Indianapolis-beautiful shopping centers, beautiful homes, good school districts. Geist- you're paying for the name & luxury, amazing area. I do not now nor have ever preferred Speedway (suburb of Indy), traffic & the noise especially during racing events is enough to make me want to fall off a very large mountain. Neighborhoods and houses are small & it doesn't look maintenanced or clean. Downtown Indy you're paying for the name, it smells funny because of the sewers, high traffic due to the plethora of events & I would say the crime rate is a smidge higher because of the influx of traffic. Recently the mayor has been better about increased police presence. There are some grocery stores, large presence of shopping centers, parking is hard to find & expensive. Stay away from 38th street from east (Sherman, 38th keystone) to west mlk streets to post road. High crime, High traffic. Downtown to 38th street from east to west. 46th & central ave areas & north of have BEAUTIFUL houses. Castelton(suburb of Indy) love the area, highways to & from work is heinous. Find work in this area off the highway & you've got it made. Everything is centrally located, great area. Crime around the mall picks up around holidays. You can find some great houses there. Fishers & Nobelsville In. Excellent areas amazingly beautiful houses & apartments do your research, this area is worth it. South side (alot of accidents especially state roads! ! & east side (murders). High crime, I really wouldn't recommend THESE areas at all. To me the area's are dirty & the houses are small. Around (Garfield Park) I wouldn't recommend. With that being said Lawrence(suburb of Indy) close to the military base awesome area clean, good schools. This area is not too far from 38th post-46 post - stay away from this area as well as 38 Pendleton pike. High crime bad area. Far Nw indy. North of 56th street guion, Lafayette rd, georgetown beautiful houses, shopping is convenient. Lower crime I don't care for the pike township school systems here though. 86th street from west to east (keystone at the crossing- you're paying for the area. Further down is Castelton which is fairly priced). Broadripple you're paying for the name & to me the houses are small. Kessler east to Kessler west (Kessler west turns into 56th street, beautiful houses & area prone to flooding) I recommend house shopping when it's very rainy in any area, not an ideal shopping day but when you're doing drive bys & open houses you know exactly what you're dealing with leaks, flooding in yards also mold smells are prevalent during this time. Do not attempt to move in before a thorough mold, foundation & structure inspection is done. One thing you don't skimp on. Hope this helps.
Jim Traub, , Indianapolis, IN
Thu Apr 10, 2014
If you need a mortgage, we close loans for as little as $450 plus county filing fee. Jim Traub, NMLS 250751, Union Savings Bank (Indiana's largest lender)
jtraub@usavingsbank or cell: 317-407-8085
FDIC Insured, Equal Housing Lender
Michele Hawk…, Home Owner, Indianapolis, IN
Wed Apr 9, 2014
Well, this is why I am no longer a professional in Indianapolis. Because so called professional agents won't hesitate to bash other people and tell you what you want to hear just to make a buck. If you want to see poor taste and EXTREMELY unprofessional behavior, read the comment below, then proceed to discard it and take everyone else's advice that posted. I am only a homeowner now(but a former professional), who has lived here most of her life and would NEVER EVER show you a property, or even suggest a property, in an area not worthy. Certain areas of Indianapolis warrant some "slamming" because of their high crime rates or superior attitude or a multitude of other reasons. The comment below clearly demonstrates what I am talking about. I will not recommend an agent because not every agent is compatible with every client. YOU must be comfortable with your agent. However, when you do decide to move, interview several agents all across the city. Pick one that is knowledgeable, knows Indy well, takes the time to get to know you and what you're looking for, has YOUR best interests in mind (not their wallet) and above all, find one who will NOT sugar coat anything. Find one who isn't afraid to tell you exactly like it is. They should feel comfortable telling you if a certain area is a high crime area or if it's ambiance wreaks of superior, self righteousness. Oh and don't use a so called professional who not only finds it necessary to take "pot shots" at others for their own personal gain, but who knows how to use proper punctuation and capitalization. Good luck in your search. I hope you find what you're looking for and enjoy Indianapolis.
Michael Mcco…, , Indianapolis, IN
Wed Apr 9, 2014
A little poor taste and unprofessional slamming certain areas in indpls i live on the west side prices very from 60s to about 150s good school system depends on what you are looking at price wise since i need a little more information where you work how much you are willing to spend what you are approved for mortgage wise alot of factors email me or call the numbers below i will be happy to help without slamming areas i am a professional and am sorry for the unprofessional email you recieved prior

mike mc cormick
carpenter realtors
retiredfire105@yahoo.com
240-6420 office
495-0452 cell phone
Sun Apr 6, 2014
Oaklandon hands down. You can get a house with a more than just a small lot for reasonable. The area isn't stuffy or stuck-up like Carmel, Fishers, Geist, Avon and a few others. Casleton is HIGH, HIGH traffic and a little on the expensive side. Traders point is also very expensive and also has high traffic. The west side has gone downhill. Speedway homes are small and you have to contend with race traffic, although you can make a lot of money during races by allowing people to park on your property. In Oaklandon, The taxes are reasonable unlike the above mentioned places. You have shopping, parks(for dogs and kids), restaurants, grocery stores, beauty shops, nail places all right there. Schools are great. People are friendly, not arrogant. Great for empty nesters or families. Anywhere else is either arrogant and conceited and will tax you to death or worn down and dangerous. Indy is full of "pockets" of decent neighborhoods but you're then surrounded by "bad" areas and stores you don't want to go to. Oaklandon is still Indianapolis but not a pocket.
Teresa Gorton, Agent, Indianapolis, IN
Mon Mar 31, 2014
Irvington! Would you like to go see some properties? 317-439-8583
Cumberland, Acton, Christian Park, where would you like to live, I can find a great property for you!
Flag Mon Mar 31, 2014
Reinhard Pol…, Agent, Indianapolis, IN
Mon Mar 31, 2014
Indianapolis has a lot of neighborhoods and all of them have different things to offer. A lot of this will depend on your budget and preference. If you are new to Indy you should take some time to explore these areas before making a purchase.
Andrew Ebeyer, Agent, Greenwood, IN
Mon Mar 31, 2014
It depends on what you are looking for, I just sold a home in Garfield Park for a very affordable price. Homes in that area can be found at 650-900 dollars a month.
first i need to know what part of indiana you want to live in carpenter realtors have partners all over indiana that can help you email me or just at the numbers below i would be happy to guide you to the proper agents
Flag Wed Apr 9, 2014