We are looking for home in Evanston, but everything is sold before we have a chance to make an offer. How can we also have a chance?????

Asked by Karen And Rick Rossi, Naples, FL Fri Jul 13, 2012

Answers

16
Summerville…, Agent, Evanston, IL
Fri Sep 6, 2013
You really need an experienced buyers agent who is active in the market. Your agent should be able to advise you, tell you about homes before they are active in the MLS, and tell you which houses are worth jumping on right away.
In this market you need to be smart. Some houses are priced to sell in multiple offers and some are still overpriced. Not everything is worthy of multiple offers.
We are full time Evanston agents with over 25 years of experience.
Contact us and we will be happy to work with you.
Mary Laurent, Mortgage Broker Or Lender, Chicago, IL
Thu Sep 5, 2013
Check out Williamsburg Village, there are two homes that have become available - 3 other homes have sold. It is Evanston address and has Skokie City services, (which is ranked in the top cities in the US ) Williamsburg is located off East Prairie just north of Dempster, Let me know if you need a preapproval or help with your mortgage!
Ivan Maridue…, Agent, Evanston, IL
Wed Sep 4, 2013
I understand your problem. I had the same difficulty buying a home in Wilmette. It was so competitive, several offers on the same house. I offered over list and still was not successful. I stopped looking on the MLS and concentrated on properties that were not on the market. I used my social network to get the word out and was connected to a seller. I purchased a wonderful home in Wilmette at a fantastic price. My office is in the heart of downtown Evanston, several of my colleagues live in the North Shore.

You can call me at 773-447-3141 and I can get the word out and try to connect you to a seller that meets your criteria.

ivan@jenningsrealtyinc.com
Celeste John…, Agent, Evanston, IL
Tue Jan 22, 2013
Hi Karen and Rick,

It’s a new year and I really hope you were able to buy a home by now, but if you haven’t…The best way to circumvent that problem is to find an advocate broker that will give you the opportunity to search homes that are currently available in your price range, style and other criteria. This is a wonderful time to buy… and the fact that the houses are flying off the market before you can actually make an offer is an indication that the housing market is in full swing again. Thank goodness! Call me if you need further help in your search. I can guide you in the right direction and also help you with your real estate challenges anywhere!

Celeste Johnson von Dahm
Coldwell Banker Residential Brokerage
(Business) 847.864.2600
(Fax) 847.475.3567
(Cell)773.510.0548
Celeste.johnson@cbexchange.com
"The best name in Real Estate"
Joanne Matik, Agent, Glenview, IL
Fri Nov 9, 2012
Hi Karen and Rick,

I know it can be frustrating when you find a home you are interested in is sold before you have time to make an offer. You need to be conected to the MLS through an experienced agent. The MLS is the only source that has that is immediately updated when a change is made. If you convey to your agent that you are interested in a property he or she will let the lisitng agent know. This dialog is very important for many reasons. The listing agent will inform your agent if there is an offer, this information, if it is to be disclosed is at the direction of the seller. The topic of mulltiple offers is complex and I know that was not your question so I won't elaborate here.

I just found a home for some clients from Tampa. They had a pre-approval letter which helps tremendously. You probably already have one of those from a loan officer.

We kept in close contact, talking on the phone frequently and emailing. I previewed homes for them. taking extra pictures which I would email with explanation to them. They only had two visits up here before finding a home!

The homes are more expensive up here than they are in Tampa. But they knew they would also be making more up here once they moved. They understood that there is no perfect home, but this home met most of the criteria they had.

I know our inventory has decreased dramatically. But in your favor, as a buyer, the law of supply and demand has not shown up yet as prices are not incresing as would be expected.

The shadow inventory, or that of distressed property due to come on the market, and mix of bank owned homes currently on the market does influence prices. Home Affordability (factored by prices and interest rates) is at the lowest on record!

I would love to talk to you. As a Fourth generation Realtor, I take great pride in the quality of my work. It is a challenging market, but I like challenges.

Joanne Matik
Office: 847-657-3767
Email: joanne.matik@cbexchange.com
Coldwell Banker site: http://www.joannematik.com
Beth Billups, Home Buyer, Ann Arbor, MI
Thu Sep 6, 2012
We just put our beautifully updated 1872 Victorian on the market this week. It is 739 Central St. and is 1 block from the lake/beach, school and the train.
Best of Luck in your search!
Mark Flint, Agent, Evansont, IL
Fri Aug 24, 2012
The good new is that the market is moving. Contacting a local agent is key. The consumer websites will be too slow for you to make a move on a property quick enough. still a great time to buy.
Hochman.herz, Home Owner, Evanston, IL
Thu Aug 23, 2012
We are about to put our beautiful three bedroom house on the market within the week. Please contact me at hochman (dot) herz (at) comcast (dot) net if you would like to talk further. Thanks
Alan May, Agent, Evanston, IL
Sat Aug 4, 2012
It can be difficult, particularly if you're watching the market from a distance, using only the public website (Trulia, Zillow, Realtor.com, etc...).

Many of those sites don't have current information. New listings often don't show up on those sites for 1-3 days... properties that have gone under contract (attorney review or inspection) still show up as available, causing you to waste time and spin your wheels.

The best way to conduct your search is hand-in-hand with a local Realtor, who can set you up on a computerized MLS search. The MLS is the most current, most accurate way to search for homes... it's updated every 15 minutes, and when a new property shows up, your Realtor can set up the search to email the listings to you... so that you don't miss a moment.

Additionally, as others have mentioned, a good local agent will know about properties that are coming on the market in the future, and may be able to give you a heads up, and thereby a leg up, on something that might suit you.
Heidi Laros, Agent, Evanston, IL
Sat Jul 14, 2012
The best way to get a heads up on the inventory is to be acquainted with an agent in the area. You can get set up to receive listings directly from the MLS as soon as they are listed (instead of waiting for the listings to show up on the other sites, which can take a couple of days to pull in, losing valuable time). This search can also be far more targeted than what you can search yourself on other sites. Also, an agent will be tuned into listings in the office before they even hit the MLS. I've sold homes to buyers for listings in the office before they've come on the market to the general buyer population. So those are some ways to get in the inner connection!
Evanston Res…, Both Buyer And Seller, Evanston, IL
Sat Jul 14, 2012
Another suggestion: if it fits your needs at all, consider a condominium. Due to new condo construction, the condo market in Evanston is much more of a buyer's market than the house market. There are many very nice condos (including large ones) that could make excellent alternatives to a single family home and are available at good prices.
Lynn Briskin, Agent, Evanston, IL
Fri Jul 13, 2012
Karen and Rick,

There is currently not a great amount of inventory in the area so most new properties that come on the market are selling very quickly. Summer also tends to be slower, with many sellers traveling or readying their homes, so there is not as much to choose from. Basically, you have to be ready to go - pre approved by a lender - and able to see something of interest as quickly as possible.

My office has access to many 'exempt' listings (those not yet on the multiple listings but headed to market) which can prove beneficial for some buyers. If you are not working with another realtor, let me know and I would be happy to assist you in your home buying process.

Warm regards,
Lynn
Kathleen Buf…, Agent, Evanston, IL
Fri Jul 13, 2012
If you are working with an agent who knows Evanston then you should have every opportunity to make a competitive offer. I am not sure how you are going about your search but many of the on-line resources available are not always completely up to date. What may show up as active in a search may in fact already be under contract and the information can take 24 to 48 hours before it shows up on some search engines. By having an agent , you can be apprised immediately of any home that is new on the market. And in some cases if the broker is on top of their game they might find a home that has not yet hit the market through their network of broker associates.
Please let me know if you have any further questions about the Evanston market and I will be happy to assist you.
Jeri Schmidt, Agent, Evanston, IL
Fri Jul 13, 2012
You need to have an experienced and active realtor. Your realtor will often hear about homes that are coming on the market before they are listed. This is especially true if the realtor is in a large office such as Coldwell Banker on Central Street

I am available to assist you at any time
Don Tepper, Agent, Burke, VA
Fri Jul 13, 2012
If you're trying to do it yourself (scanning the listings yourself), then you don't have a chance.

You need an agent helping you. The agent can set it up so he/she gets any potential listings immediately--the instant they're listed. And the agent probably can set it up so you're sent a copy of the listing, too. Then you immediately--within 6 hours or so--view the property. And be prepared to work with your agent to have an offer written up that same day. So you're making an offer within 12-16 hours after it's listed, maximum.

Cathy Kozlar…, Agent, Evanston, IL
Fri Jul 13, 2012
Are you working with an agent? Your agent should be able to send you listings as soon as they come on the market if they are checking the MLS often. If they are in a large office they also might be able to hear about listings coming on the market before they hit the MLS and give you a bit of a head start. Let me know if I can help you in any way.
Thank you... we are with an agent. It is a small office. We will keep trying. thanks for your time.
Flag Fri Jul 13, 2012