We are interested in a home that could be converted to a Bed and Breakfast. Are there some prope?

Asked by Sarah Brynne, City Island, Bronx, NY Wed Sep 12, 2007

Answers

5
Zach, , Virginia
Thu Feb 12, 2009
Old post, but for those still looking I'd encourage you to start with existing inns for sale. It is a good idea to at least consider finding a property that already has all of the licenses, permits, etc. in place - not to mention the existing customer base.
Web Reference:  http://www.innshopper.com
Bob Crosby, , Lakeville, MN
Thu Nov 8, 2007
Sarah,

There is currently one property in Farmington, in the southern metro area, which is a historic site which already has a conditional use permit for a bed & breakfast. It is listed at $449,000 and has 4 bedrooms and 4 baths and several common areas. That property would be ready to go and would conform to your use right away.

There are also a number of larger single family homes which are currently zoned commercial, which would make your proposed use doable pretty much right away. Otherwise, as others have mentioned, it would be necessary to investigate the likelihood of pursuing a zoning change in your chosen area, which is by no means impossible, but should be undertaken with a strong commitment to due diligence prior to purchase.

I hope that helps.

Bob
Angela Niece, Agent, Twin Cities, MN
Sun Sep 30, 2007
There are special searches you can do to find area's that already have a bed and breakfast in them. E-mail me if you would like me to set you up on it.
Diane Glander, Agent, Spring Lake, NJ
Wed Sep 12, 2007
Finding your perfect home should be your second step. You should check with the municipality first to be sure there are no zoning restrictions prohibiting that use. Good luck.
Web Reference:  http://www.dianeglander.com
Katie Roach, , Saint Paul, MN
Wed Sep 12, 2007
I would contact the City of Minneapolis to find out. If the house you like is zoned residential there are certain restrictions on operating a business. Some areas in Kenwood might be commercial zone as well as residential.