Home Buying in Sonoma County>Question Details

Gsteve55, Home Owner in Fort Lauderdale, FL

We are considering a move to Napa or Sonoma Valley- your thoughts on homes, value, lifestyle, job prospects, amenities, etc. between the two?

Asked by Gsteve55, Fort Lauderdale, FL Wed Aug 31, 2011

We are avid cyclists and dog owners and would be looking for a single-family home that is new, newer or redone with a yard in the $400,000 to $700,000 price range and near to a small city or town.....

Answers

6
Want to let you all know that if you are moving to Napa, be sure to select Dr. Daniel M Capponi, DDS as your family dentist! Highly rated on YELP. Visit his website at http://www.drcapponidds.com
Well you probably have seen that Santa Rosa has many avid cyclists coming every year to tour Sonoma County! Ft. Lauderdale is a great place, and I've enjoyed visiting there sitting on the docks eating lobster! But Sonoma County is indeed a special niche of the USA and hope you come visit more often to check us out. Napa Valley is closer inland, and thus warmer, while Sonoma County is close to the costal fog and a short drive out to the ocean. We have our redwood forests, vineyards, and an easy ride down 101 to Marin and SF. Take a look at some of my photos on my blog! Best, Terry
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Oct 15, 2011
If I didn't already live in "America's Finest City"? I'd be in Sonoma. Best wines and greatest climate and you just can't get any better than Heildsberg. You have to go to the Alexander Winery and dring from the barrels in the caves through a straw. NAPA? That's where they make Auto Parts I think. Very hot and expensive.
I will be happy to send you comparison stats between Sonoma and Napa. It is about a 4 page document so I would need an e mail address to do so. It is a very indepth comparison between the two towns.
Patty
Web Reference: http://www.pattymarken.com
Hello Steve: I've got a lifetime of thoughts to share with you since my family has been in Sonoma Valley and/or Napa Valley since the turn of the last century (that would be the early 1900's) I'm a dog owner and cyclist ('tho not so avid recently.) Here are a few thoughts re homes and value: (1) there are more listings to consider in Napa Valley if you include the city of Napa as Napa Valley is much bigger than Sonoma Valley. (2) your dollars will generally go further in Napa Valley due to greater inventory there. Sonoma's limited inventory ---and closer proximity to San Francisco---are contributing factors to higher prices there. (3) It would be to your benefit education-wise to spend a lot of time online researching the listings in each valley so you can get a sense of the offerings. I would be very happy to discuss your other questions if you want to contact me via phone or email. You can also check out my website referenced here for more info. I've got a Facebook page and a blog and I regularly post information on living in this region. You are considering a move to the most magical part of the entire state of California!
Good morning! You are going to have a tough time figuring out which one of these areas is more gorgeous! Both of them hold all the amenities you are seeking, and there are very avid cyclists and dog lovers in both areas. I am partial to Sonoma County of course, but Napa is just as fabulous.

I know that alot of times people don't really consider how much the weather will affect them, but one of the things you might determine is what you are comfortable with physically... there are so many 'micro-climates' in both areas and if you prefer cooler mornings or warmer days and nights, etc, you want to seek out those areas where that weather pattern will 'suit your bones'. There is something for everyone here when it comes to weather!
I would welcome the opportunity to help you with the financing regardless of which area you settle on as it helps to work with a local lender who really knows the areas.

Happy home hunting! You will love it here!
Web Reference: http://www.GrovesTeam.net
Hi, I specialize in Napa/Sonoma Valley residential sales and have many resources on my web site that you may find useful. In general, Sonoma is smaller and prices tend to be a little higher than Napa proper but in line with Yountville and St. Helena. Napa's population is 75,000 so it's quite a bit larger than the city of Sonoma or any of the Upvalley towns in Napa. Here's my web site. Let me know if I can help. http://www.teribuchanan.com
Flag Sat May 10, 2014