We R in our 30's&want 2buy something outside of Hoboken.affordable towns w/ a vibrant downtown not more than 15mins from beaches?

Asked by jca, Hoboken, NJ Tue Dec 25, 2012

We heard about Morristown and Westfield

Answers

4
jca, Home Buyer, Hoboken, NJ
Wed Dec 26, 2012
Thank you very much. We are starting to realize we may not be able to live within 15 minutes of the beaches for under 700,000. Obviously are a lot of factors such as amount of bedrooms, square footage, etc. We need min of 3 bdrm, 2bath, 1700 sqft. Looks like we may have to stay west! Thank you again. We'll continue to talk with our coworkers, etc.!
Alex Kushnir, Agent, Monmouth, IL
Tue Dec 25, 2012
The only one I know that would fit the bill of being "vibrant downtown" and "15 min from the beaches" is Red Bank. As far as affordable goes, I am sure it means different things to different people.

If distance to the shore is important to you, you need to target south of Middlesex or east of Monmouth/Ocean counties. The further from the city, the more affordable housing becomes, in general.

Let me know if I can help you further
Jeanne Feeni…, Agent, Basking Ridge, NJ
Tue Dec 25, 2012
Both Morristown and Westfield are GREAT towns, but neither would be close to beaches. They will both fit the bill of vibrrant downtowns and they have varying degrees of affordability as you move out concentrically from town center.

Summit is another "urban/suburban" center that would be worth putting on your list.

Much will depend on your budget.

Jeanne Feenick
Unwavering Commitment to Service, Unsurpassed Results
Brian Diehl, Agent, Verona, NJ
Tue Dec 25, 2012
You should definitely investigate those areas. I suggest you start by talking to the locals in those towns. Hang out at a coffee shop or visit a home improvement store in those places and ask people if they are from the area and if so what they like and don't like about it. Asking your peers who live where you are thinking of moving is the best way to get the information you are looking for. Realtors must be impartial to such things and websites with school and crime data and liveability statistics don't telll the whole story.
thank you. I have a coworker who suggested westfield and Morristown. we now realize being near the beach is out of the question. we heard north jersey in general has high taxes. any suggestions on towns with good property value, reasonable taxes (lower than hoboken!) with somewhat of a downtown, restaurants, etc. (just not in the boonies!) thank you!!
Flag Thu Feb 7, 2013