Was Stonebrae built on a Landfill ?

Asked by Tom, 94040 Mon Feb 16, 2009

A seller's agent recently told me that the Stonebrae development in Hayward was built on an old landfill. She claimed this is why the price of a new house in Stonebrae is lower than the price of a pre-owned house in the Bailey Ranch development (on a per SF basis). Is this correct? I couldn't find any reference to a landfill on the internet. I am seriously looking at both Stonebrae and Bailey Ranch.

Answers

3
Pacita Dimac…, Agent, Oakland, CA
Mon Feb 16, 2009
I guess it's safe to assume that when someone builds on a landfill that the chances of liquefaction may be higher in case of earthquakes.

Here's a link to the California Geological Survey that will allow you to zoom into different areas in the Bay City. Maybe this will help.

http://geomaps.wr.usgs.gov/sfgeo/liquefaction/susceptibility.html. It's "zoom-able" so you may be able to gauge for yourself.

Also, if indeed Stonebrae was built on a landfill, that information should be made part of the disclosures, via a Natural Hazards Disclosure that is mandatory.
Natalie Geary, Home Buyer, Hayward Highland, Hayward, CA
Mon Jan 13, 2014
I live in Prominance, across from Bailey Ranch and down the street from Stonebrae. We chose this neighborhood because all of the homes have landscaped garden, diverse demographics, retired people which is good for preventing burglaries, and we found a gorgeous home. Bailey Ranch has many homes with unfinished gardens and the curb appeal is shabby to me. Also a lot of contentious arguments (per a friend who lives there). Also, they get a lot of burglaries over there for some reason. Stonebrae has nice homes on small lots; it is all in what you want I guess. This is not landfill. I played on this land as a child. It was rolling hills and we rode horses and mini bikes and walked/ran all over this area. Some hills have been flattened, but I don;/t believe that land fill is part of either neighborhood. It is nice up here, fresh air, quiet, peaceful, and safe. Hope this helps.
Craig, Home Buyer, 94110
Wed Jul 1, 2009
It is not true that Stonebrae was built on a landfill. That's ridiculous.