Want to know the best neighborhoods for young couples in Minneapolis/St. Paul?

Asked by kristen.oconn, Minneapolis, MN Wed Aug 14, 2013

My fiance and I are from Iowa (lived in Portland, OR for a year) and are now moving to Minneapolis. We want to buy a home in a SAFE neighborhood that has a lot going on in terms of shops, restaurants, parks (we have a small dog), trails. Our price range is about $200,000. Schools are not necessarily so important right now, as we probably won't have kids for another 5 or so years. At $200,000, we would definitely want something move-in ready, but we would be willing to do some small fixes in the $150-180k price range. My fiance will be working in Roseville, and I will be working from home - so it would be nice to be close to Roseville (a half hour commute max).

Thank you for your help!
Kristen

Answers

11
MaryAlice Be…, Agent, Eagan, MN
Wed Aug 21, 2013
Hi Kristen,

If you are looking for a neighborhood that will remind you of Portland, have plenty of shops, brew pubs, etc., and want to stay at or under the $200,000 on a move in ready, single family home, you should check out NE Minneapolis (easy commute to Roseville). Of course, the neighborhoods in NE Minneapolis vary widely and you will want to be careful about the location. Windom Park, Waite Park, and Audubon Park neighborhoods would be a good place to start.

If NE Minneapolis does not work out, consider Keewaydin, Minnehaha, Howe, Longfellow, Cooper, Northrop, Hiawatha, Ericsson, Nokomis, etc. in South Minneapolis. The commute to Roseville from these neighborhoods is under 30 minutes. These neighborhoods are very popular with young couples due location, parks, trails, shops, restaurants, good public school options, etc. Once again, finding a home at or under $200,000 in move in ready condition in this area is very possible.

Hope this helps :)

I have lived in NE Minneapolis and currently reside in South Minneapolis and am VERY familiar with these neighborhoods (yes, there are certain areas you probably don't want to live in).

MaryAlice Beevore
Realtor MBA, CDPE, CRS
Remax Advantage Plus
Phone: 612-554-5901
http://zillow.com/profile/MaryAliceBeevore/
Jessica Free…, Agent, Plymouth, MN
Sat Aug 17, 2013
Roseville is a great area but I would also recommend St. Louis Park (20 min drive to Roseville) or maybe Uptown in Minneapolis (15 min drive). St. Louis Park has adorable homes within your price point with great walking & biking trails, parks for your dog, West End shopping with great restaurants, Lifetime Fitness and close to Downtown for Twins games, night life or more restaurants. Uptown is a very trendy area with fabulous dining, shopping and Lake Calhoun, Harriet, Isles but could be more difficult with your price. Still worth checking out.

Feel free to contact me directly if you'd like a city tour or up-to-date home search set up to fit your needs.

Best of luck!
Kim Eisen, Agent, Twin Cities, MN
Thu Aug 15, 2013
Hi Kristen - Roseville is a great area with lot's to do and has many surrounding - really near communities that you'll probably love as well. I think the important piece will be finding the perfect home within your price range. There are quite a few large shopping malls and parks all over within minutes of (and including) Roseville. You will never lack for anything ; )

I'd be more than happy to send you what's currently available in 'real-time' directly from our MLS (not the same as what you see on random web pages - those just confuse buyers as they do not show contingent and pending sales and continue to show them as 'active').

If this interest you, please feel free to email me at kim@BuyTwinCitesHomes.com or call at (651) 457-HOME (4663).

If you like this answer or if it was useful to you, a quick click on the green 'thumbs up' would be appreciated.

Kim Eisen
"Helping People Make Smart Real Estate Decisions since 1980"
(651) 457-HOME (4663)

http://www.QuickHomesSearch.com
Debra Meyer, Agent, Bloomington, MN
Thu Aug 15, 2013
Hello Kristen,
My husband is also from Iowa.(Odebolt) We have lived in the cities for about 17 years now. We live in Chanhassen which is a western suburb. Probably a little boring for a younger couple but Eden Prairie is only 5 miles east of us and ideal for a younger couple. There is a large mall, plenty of unique shopping around the area. Tons of restaurants and bus transportation in your back yard if you choose to go downtown for ball games etc. Eden Prairie, like all western suburbs are very safe and have always come in at "top" places to live in the United States. I suggest you google it to learn more.
If you would like help finding an appropriate home I will be happy to help.
Susan Hoffla…, Agent, Shoreview, MN
Thu Aug 15, 2013
Please see my most recent post on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Susan-Hofflander-Real-Estate-…

It's a public profile, so you needn't join facebook to see it.
Susan Hoffla…, Agent, Shoreview, MN
Thu Aug 15, 2013
We can suggest some websites where you can find the crime rate info so you get to make the decision about what's acceptable. I should have said that earlier~
Susan Hoffla…, Agent, Shoreview, MN
Thu Aug 15, 2013
Hi, Kristen!
Well, you're doing the SMART thing by throwing some feelers out to find an agent. Along with your lender, your agent is going to be the most important relationship you'll need to establish to successfully execute this transaction.

I LOVE the points you bring up! One big one is the discussion of a SAFE neighborhood. We don't want you NOT to be safe, but we also can't discuss crime rates and things. The Dept. of Commerce perceives that as us "steering" you toward or away from an area based on what WE think is acceptable, rather than YOU being the chooser about what's acceptable. We can talk about market conditions in certain neighborhoods ALL DAY LONG, but not crime rates or the like.

There are MANY areas of the Twin Cities that would have a great walk score to suit your needs. I'm wondering if the Como Lake area might not be a good fit for you. It has that same kind of urban flair that you describe.

I can set up an MLS search for you if you'd like. Please read through some profiles and see if you think you'd "click with one agent" more than another. Then, maybe do some phone or skype interviews if you're still out of town. That homework will help you be more prepared when you come to town and start shopping. I hope you contact me!! I'd love to earn your business~

Take care and Good luck!
Web Reference:  http://www.homestosellmn.com
Chris Block, , Saint Paul, MN
Thu Aug 15, 2013
Hey I grew up in Roseville! My whole life actually (still live in the area), so I certainly know that part of the metro well.

If you are asking for a 30 minute commute max to Roseville you actually have a ton of options on the North End either up 35E, 35W, or 65. The city is centrally located right between St. Paul and Minneapolis, so it has a lot of ways to get there that is for sure! If you start to go into Minneapolis/St. Paul 200k does not get you much anymore, but there are still some good spots worth maybe considering. You can go a little south, but the commute and traffic gets a little harder from that side to get up to Roseville.

So my best guess is you will stick on the North side of the metro. Whether you want suburbs or city living is probably the biggest question then. What you describe tends to be urban living, and a area that you may enjoy quite a bit is the como neighborhood. Has amazing park system (and of course the zoo!), and you are pretty close to Grand Ave for shops and restaurants. You will probably also use the Rosedale Mall quite a bit.

Just a thought, and I know there are move-in ready homes at your budget. Grand is a pretty expensive area, and for your budget just living outside the "hot spots" is maybe the best choice. Also, NE Minneapolis seems like a slam dunk in my mind. THAT DOES just about fit everything on your bill. Probably the best way is to team up with a Realtor who can discuss everything with you and the fiance and start narrowing down cities. The seller does pay our commission in Minnesota so it is kinda free to you.

I would be more than happy to help you on this journey, but regardless having a "local expert" on your team I think is a good bet.

Just let me know!

~Chris
Realtor North Suburbs
651-307-7663
chris.block@imetroproperty.com
CHECK OUT MY CLIENTS TESTIMONIALS ON MY PROFILE PAGE!
Betty Johnson, Agent, Arden Hills, MN
Thu Aug 15, 2013
You have the best information available under your fingertips. The demographics including crime rates, average ages, average incomes are available by searching the city you have in mind. Roseville, Falcon Heights, Como in St Paul, Vadnais Heights, New Brighton, Mounds View all have great web sites and some great buys in housing. The new Green Line light rail corridor would be a great place to focus on as the property values are still some what affordable with a bright future. I am just completing a house in the South Saint Anthony neighborhood which I have been working on for the past year. It was livable when I closed on it, I spent $100k on it, invested another $80k and many hours of sweat equity it should sell next spring for $250K. There are still properties like this in the areas I mentioned above and with my experience you can make a educated purchase and achieve the American Dream of home ownership.
Mike Kelcher, Agent, Burnesville, MN
Wed Aug 14, 2013
I'll help you with the entire process and provide you with all the information necessary for you to make an informed decision....which can be a lot of information. We'll start with a map, and choose neighborhoods to consider. After that, I'll email you links to everything currently available that meets your criteria in each neighborhood...on your computer in the comfort of your home, whenever you wish. Then, after you've chosen some of the best of the best, we'll go look at as many as required. Once you select one, I'll assist you with the making of an offer, negotiate that offer in an attempt to get the property you choose at the best possible price and terms, then guide you through the rest of the process. There's no charge to you for any of this. All you have to do is call me.

Mike Kelcher
RES Realty
763-228-2967
Steven Hong, Agent, Edina, MN
Wed Aug 14, 2013
There are many great neighborhoods in the Minneapolis / St. Paul area. But we (as real estate agents) cannot address issues of crime and safety, nor demographics. I can, however, show you where the data is located so that you can browse that information for yourself. That way, you can make an accurate judgement of those issues from your perspective.

Otherwise, there is some great neighborhood information from the LiveMSP.org website. It is sponsored by Minneapolis, St. Paul, and some non-profit neighborhood organizations.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to contact me and I'll do my best to answer them.

Thanks!
Web Reference:  http://www.LiveMSP.org