WHICH IS A BETTER (MORE UPSCALE) NEIGHBOURHOOD? --CLEVELAND HEIGHTS OR SHAKER HEIGHTS? WHICH OF THE 2 IS SAFER AND HAS BETTER AMMENETIES?

Asked by Glenn Kay, Cleveland Heights, OH Thu Jan 12, 2012

Answers

5
michelle.ree…, Home Buyer, Shaker Heights, OH
Thu Dec 20, 2012
I lived in CH for two years, and currently now live in Shaker, Both neighborhoods are safe and great to live in. I can say that I spend more time enjoying the outdoors and restaurants in shaker, however I liked the shopping in the CH area better. My daughter loves both areas, and they are very similar. In CH I had a break in dealing with a car. I personally feel you will be happier in Shaker, due to the closeness to downtown Cleveland, YOu cant go wrong with either area.
Calvinator, , Cleveland, OH
Sat Jul 14, 2012
Here is my non-realtor opinion:

Shaker Heights has historically been the more upscale community. That being said, there are some pretty bad areas in SH, and some really good ones in CH. I grew up in CH and lived in several places there.. a lot of people refer to it as "The People's Republic of Cleveland Heights", primarily because of the out of control city hall.

I don't have first-hand exp. with SH, but have other family that used to live there, and [for me] the #1 reason to be cautious is property taxes.This applies to both places. Just make sure you fully understand all your tax obligations; Property, RITA/city, State, etc. Yeah, it's crazy.

If you are set on either/or for the area, definitely do your homework. Go there during the day and night. See what it's like when the kids get out from school. Visit the stores, look at the demographic. Yeah a lot of folks don't want to talk about the elephant in the middle of the room--but it is there nonetheless. About the biggest suggestion I would make is stay away from the main roads, and away from bus lines. Another downside to the area is that it's not very convenient to the highways. CH in particular was designed to be this way.
Sky, Home Owner, Shaker Heights, OH
Wed May 23, 2012
It depends on your defiinition of "better". Go to city-data for stats on each city.
I live in Shaker Heights (1 year now) and love it.
Anna M Brocco, Agent, Williston Park, NY
Thu Jan 12, 2012
A better neighborhood is subjective, and since opinions are oftentimes subjective, and what may be good for one may not necessarily be the case for another, if unfamiliar with the areas why not take the time and visit more than once and different times of day; possibly chat with locals/neighbors, check out all that is important to you, then determine where your comfort level will be reached. If you have any safety concerns, do contact the local police department; real estate professionals are prohibited from steering, enticing a buyer to purchase, or not, in specific neighborhoods.
Tari Torch S…, Agent, Woodmere, OH
Thu Jan 12, 2012
This is a question that a Realtor cannot answer. It violates Fair Housing statutes. You can check with the local police departments for crime statistics. You can go online to crimereports.com and get information there. Google some of those items and cities, and sometimes they have them on their own web sites.

Which is a "better" community/neighborhood is also a matter of Fair Housing, as well as a matter of preference for each individual. You could collect 150 opinions...for each city! It depends upon what you want and what preferences you have because each community has many similarities (i.e., they are both first-ring suburbs, housing stock, etc) and many differences. I always recommend that buyers (especially out-of-town) buyers, drive around the areas they have interests in, and take a look around at the amenities and differences. For example, do you want to be near Whole Foods? Or is there a particular school you like? Or do you like lots of children in a neighborhood, etc. All these things can be determined by you. If you are from out of town, you can even rent with a "short-term lease", thereby allowing you to take the time to familiarize yourself with the areas you have an interest in. Maybe a 6-month lease? There are a number of short-term rental buildings in the area, including Beachwood. That way, you can allow yourself the time to know the area(s) without feeling pressured.

Sorry, but it's just not a response you will get from a Realtor!

Hope this helps a bit, and if you need to know what houses are on the market, certainly give me or another Realtor a call and we can provide housing information for all communities for you. Or if you would like names of the short-term rentals, we can provide that as well. We have a lot more current, updated information than is many times found on other sites (but this is not to say Trulia or any other site is not good...they have their purposes, too!)

Tari