WE are closing in a couple of days. In the walk through we noticed what looks like mold and water stains on the roof from inside attic crawl space.

Asked by Ygraine, Chester, NY Tue Aug 2, 2011

The house is the subject of a divorce and is going into foreclosure. As far as we know this was NOT a short sale. Do we have to take the house as is? The mold was not visible during inspection 3 1/2 months ago.

Answers

9
Ron Thomas, Agent, Fresno, CA
Tue Aug 2, 2011
I cannot visualize mold ON THE ROOF in summer.
Being in N.Y. you have a Buyer's Agent and an Attorney to assist you; Why are you not asking them to intervene?
Basically, Foreclosed houses are sold As/Is; in addition, you evidently signed off on Inspections: If you and the Inspector didn't catch it, that does not shift it to the Bank.

You need to consult your Attorney.
Ernie Behrle, Agent, Raleigh, NC
Mon Aug 11, 2014
This is a bit strange....like why did it take 3 1/2 months after an inspection to close and I have to ask was your agent with you when you did the walk through? If so, that person should already be working to help you on this and if not, why not? It has been a different type of summer with lots of humidity but like was said before, you don't typically find mold growing in an attic area where it gets so hot as well. I would definitely start by asking your inspector to take a look at it and if he feels it may be a mold issue, if not qualified for to do the remediation process, can probably recommend someone who can.
Annette Law…, Agent, Palm Harbor, FL
Mon Aug 11, 2014
You, your agent, the inspector you hired, a trusted contractor will be able to assess the extent of the remediation needed. When a space has poor ventilation, or is stuffed with stuff that prevents ventilation the outcome is observable and predictable. An attic crawl space may be that environment.

What you are doing in the space during a walk-through suggests there is MORE to this story.
3 1/2 months since inspection also suggests there is MORE to this story.

Consult the professional you have hired to represent you. The are well versed and proficient regarding these bumps in the road. And there are ALWAYS bumps in the road.

Strangers on the internet are poorly situated to give you actionable direction.

Be aware, the notification system on Trulia does not work.

Best of Success,
Annette Lawrence, Broker/Associate
Remax
Palm Harbor, FL
727.420.4041
Vanessa Saun…, Agent, Larchmont, NY
Mon Aug 11, 2014
You'll need to do a fast mold inspection. If the mold wasn't there when your inspection was done, you should alert your attorney and lender. I'm sure that your agent has this in hand, and as the current owner is responsible for keeping the house in tip-top condition before the closing and you should not close until this has been addressed. If you need a mold testing company to corroborate your findings, I recommend A-Tech Services (914) 610 8224. Good Luck, I do hope that this doesn't hold up your closing too long.
Deborah Warn…, Agent, Woodcliff Lake, NJ
Tue May 14, 2013
I recommend discussing this with your real estate agent. I have had my clients get an estimate to remove or repair something that was not discovered at the time of the home inspection. Sometimes I have been successful in getting money for the buyer at the closing but not always.
Kate Washing…, Agent, New Windsor, NY
Wed Aug 3, 2011
Mold is the latest scary problem in home purchasing, financing notwithstanding. Not all mold is the same, if you find mold it doesn't mean that it's growing throughout the house. It just might be an isolated spot and easily mitigated. You can always speak with your attorney, at this point, I don't what your Buyers Agent could do to help.
Christopher…, Agent, Tarrytown, NY
Tue Aug 2, 2011
Hi, If you are using an attorney you will have to consult with them. Your postion will depend greatly on the language in your contract. If you had an inspection contibency and it was satusfied then you might not be able to do anything. If you really want the home and the situation isnt that bad then don't be so quick to walkaway. Mold can be remediated easily, especially if it's not alot.

Christopher Pagli
Licensed Associate Broker
Accredited Buyer Representative
GREEN Designated Agent
William Raveis Legends Realty Group
914.406.9023
Web Reference:  http://raveis.com/chrispagli
Martina Ryan, Agent, Bayside, NY
Tue Aug 2, 2011
Speak to your attorney & Realtor about this. If it was a Short Sale you would be aware of it as there is a lot of paperwork involved & it usually takes a long time to close. Ask your Attorney about the Property Disclosure paperwork & see if you can negotiate something with the seller to take care of the mold or leak. This is the purpose of a walk through so research where the leak is coming from & have the seller take care of it.
Anna M Brocco, Agent, Williston Park, NY
Tue Aug 2, 2011
What is your agent and or attorney advising, either party can best advise, consider a consultation...