Venice Canals..Are the canals well cared for?

Asked by donnamarie, Los Angeles, CA Tue Nov 5, 2013

Are the canals well cared for? Does water seep into the nearby soil? Are their issues with the homes along Venice Canals?

Answers

7
Andrew Jones, Agent, Venice Beach, CA
Wed Nov 6, 2013
Hi donnamarie,

The Venice Canals are a truly unique neighborhood unlike anything else I can think of on the west coast. You'll find newer cookie cutter villages built in marinas with much wider canals, boat slips, and traffic, but nothing that has the intimate charm of the Canals.

From their eclectic architecture spanning the classic, contemporary and everything in between to the quiet walkways, quaint foot bridges, and calm waters which are broken only by the occasional kayak or family of ducks passing by... the Venice Canals offer a one-of-a-kind lifestyle and investment opportunity in what may be the largest housing market in the country.

The Venice Canals are connected directly to the ocean by the Grand Canal which both draws fresh water from and drains into the main Marina del Rey boat channel with the tides. The canals themselves were dredged and the banks were completely rehabilitated in 1992-3 and they seem healthy with plenty of sea plants, mollusks, snails, crustaceans, barnacles, birds and fish.

Here's a link to the Venice Canals Association which has more information about the restoration and Canals in general.

http://venicecanalsassociation.org/about/

If you're thinking of buying a home here I'd say that the biggest downside is parking. There's only a single one-way street going through the Canals with narrow alleys branching off to the east and west on each of the three small islands. The more parking spaces a house has the better as there is no public parking anywhere in the canals.

The Coastal Commission also has a hand in Venice Land Use Policies (including environmental concerns) which will need to be addressed if your're thinking of building though this doesn't seem to have hindered a considerable amount of construction here over the last 20 years.

The Venice Canals (like Venice as a whole) aren't for everyone, but I can't think of a better place to live if a serene waterfront community close to the beach sounds like your cup of tea. Here's the link to a video featuring them on Youtube which I made several years ago though the prices have changed some since then.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-ry0-21UM8

Also, here's a link to the continuously updated Venice map search tool on my L.A. Beach Cities Homes website that has all the properties for sale in the Canals.

http://labeachcitieshomes.com/venice_beach_mls_listings_sear…

Please feel free to call or email me any time if you have questions, need information, or want to know more about properties that you find online.

Best of Luck!
Bernardo kin…, Home Buyer, Saint Ansgar, IA
Tue Nov 5, 2013
I know a few years ago they did something to all the ducks that used to be there.The canals are are not natural, so the houses are probably protected, and you rarely see an empty house there. The houses are jammed together like toy factory shelves at christmas. It is, however, usually quite quiet. People seem to respect their neighbors, which is a good thing.
Jamie Tian, Agent, Los Angeles, CA
Tue Nov 5, 2013

I have not heard of any issues with the canals. If you are interested in purchasing a home near the canal, or anywhere in fact, you would hire a home inspector during escrow to inspect the property. You can also hire a specialist (geologist, etc) if you want to investigate something specific in depth.

Are you interested in purchasing a home in the Venice area? I would be happy to email you a list of properties that are currently available, as well as answer any other questions you might have.

Feel free to contact me anytime at (310) 717-1321 or JamieTian@RodeoRE.com.

Jamie Tian
Rodeo Realty
(310) 717-1321
JamieTian@RodeoRE.com
BRE #01920120
Web Reference:  http://www.jamietian.com
Shannon Chang, Agent, Arcadia, CA
Tue Nov 5, 2013
It is a great place. Good homes. Any purchase is subject to inspection. Any home can have problems and Venice Canals is no exception, however, I have never heard of their being overall general problems with all homes in the area.
Madelaine Ko…, Agent, Los Angeles, CA
Tue Nov 5, 2013
I sold a home on the Venice canals, It is quite wonderful.. enchanting place to live..
Michael Earl…, Agent, Venice, CA
Tue Nov 5, 2013
Hello There are a number of home owner groups in the Canals that work to beautiful and preserve the canals. .
A few years ago they all worked together to line the canals with blocks to stop the erosion. There is no more leaking of the canals than you would find along any watercourse such as a river or pond. The water rises and lowers with the tide and the water naturally flows so the water is kept fresh by nature.

My partner Ben Schick actually lives on the Canals and when he was a building contractor he built homes on the various canals and upgraded many more. He knows just about everyone who lives there and the history of most of the homes. We would be happy to work with you to find a home there that fits your needs.

Michael Earley
Earley & Schick
Teles Properties - Venice office
earley.schick@telespropeties.com
310 490 3068
Susan Bo'ur, Agent, Manhattan Beach, CA
Tue Nov 5, 2013
I don't know of any issues in the canals or any homes on Grand Canal. I'm actually showing two properties on Grand Canal 2418 and 2420
When purchasing a home here you would need to investigate and have inspections performed.
Please let me know if you have any other questions..I'm happy to assist.
Susan Bo'ur
Realtor/Coldwell Banker
Susan@SusanBour.com
(310) 600-4240
Have a great evening!