VA Loan Real Estate Agents in Louisiana

Asked by Lori Ward, Bossier City, LA Sat Jul 6, 2013

hello i believe my fiance is eligible for a VA loan he was enlisted from 1975-81,with 100% financing,no money down,my question is are their agents out there that have a list of VA approved homes where as it wouldnt be so time consuming to be in our home asap?we prefer the much older homes such as ranches ,bungalows etc.do agents handle va loans for us?im so very new to all this as im sure you all notice lol,could it be possible if i was to find a home i love on trulia that i could possibly get it with a VA loan?the agent handlng that property would know if it was VA approved,correct?

Answers

8
Carolyn and…, Agent, Shreveport, LA
Sun Jul 21, 2013
Congratulations on your impending wedding, and be sure to tell your fiancé thanks for serving.
The knowledge that you qualify for a VA loan is the first step. It is essential that you speak with a lender (local preferably) who can tell you the amount of the loan for which you and your fiancé qualify. They will give you a one page prequalification letter. Once you have the prequalification letter, you are ready.

Finding a house is the fun part, but it is only the first part. You can spend a lot of time (if you are working fulltime, think wasting a lot of time) searching the internet (Trulia is a good place to start). There are many places that will serve up list of houses for you. However when you are serious, you need to engage the services of a professional. The good ones have the skill, knowledge, and resources to make the process much easier for you. Specifically, in the state of Louisiana you want a “Buyer’s Agent,” someone who only works for you. When you see a sign in a yard, that person works for the homeowner.

As a general rule, all licensed real estate professionals have access to the same list of houses, meaning they can talk with you and show you the property. The difference between those professionals is their skill, knowledge, and ability. Once you select a buyer’s agent to work for you, be loyal to them. If you are not satisfied with their services, tell them, and find one that will take care of your needs. But, always be loyal.

You mentioned a VA approved house. Depending on the price range, most houses will qualify for a VA loan. It is not the age of the house, its location, or its style. In order for a property to be eligible for a loan, it must be a good investment for the lender. That means that if the borrower defaults, the lender can recover their investment by selling the property. That means that an investor does not like distressed, damage, or properties that are in otherwise poor condition. There is too much risk for the lender. A skilled, knowledgeable buyer’s agent can show you a property and give you an indication of the likelihood of its qualifying. Phrases like “needs work”, “great investment opportunity” are red flags.

Contact me by going to Zip711.com and click contact me. Or, you can read about it in my book, “Get the Best Deal When Selling Your Home – Northwest Louisiana Edition” at your local library, or bookstore.

I interview prospective buyers and sellers on a regular basis. I would be glad to speak with you.

Carolyn Grimsley, CRS, ABR
Certified Residential Specialist, Accredited Buyer’s Representative
Licensed by the State of Louisiana
Web Reference:  http://www.zip711.com
awww thank you so very much for the beautiful words so kind of you to say,and also for all the time you;ve taken in all your knowledgable information,i;m so sorry i hadnt replied to your post in some time ,we are pretty much sitting back waiting for all his paper work to get in from the credit woman so we can proceed from there,looks to be about 1 more month before that will be fulfilled, I sure am looking forward to it,i wanted to ask you,do you have access to the best lenders to associate with when it does comes time for us to get that prequalification letter?and is that also time consuming or pretty much a quick turn around ordeal?
Flag Tue Aug 13, 2013
Ron Thomas, Agent, Fresno, CA
Sat Jul 6, 2013
First of all; tell him thanks for serving!
Then, he needs to take his tokus down to the nearest VA office and talk to them:
He needs to get his Certificate of Eligibility.
He will need to talk about the Funding Fee.
Yes, VA is No Down with No PMI.

Understand that some sellers make not want to accept a VA offer; talk with the VA people about this.

My favorite VA lender is the Navy Federal Credit Union;
They serve all four branches, and you should want to be a member anyway.
You can find them on-line.
I just hooked up a Client with them and he is very happy.

Good luck and may God bless
awww thank you so very much so kind of you to say and i very much appreciate all your input,we are presently waiting to get our info.back from a creditor with our increased credit score it was at 620 ,this should be probably take another month or two,in the meantime i will have him get his certific of eligibility started,then once our credit scores are completed and raised ,we;ll be able to start looking for a home,i was just worried because so many homes i am folowing on Trulia we love but im seeing they are stating not VA eligible,do we go to VA and apply?or does the agent do this for us?i have so many questions sorry lol,if for insrance i see a home i absolutely love listed by an agent does this agent only offer the loan lenders they have specified on their listing?or is it a whole other field when dealing with a VA loan and agents can go that route as well?
Flag Sat Jul 6, 2013
Bob Savage, Agent, Bellevue, WA
Sat Jul 6, 2013
I would suggest contacting a good VA mortgage lender first, to get pre qualified. The one I have used successfully many times for my clients is Veterans United Home Loans. Toll-free 800-884-5560 or http://www.veteransunited.com. Once qualified, they can refer you to a good local real estate agent with VA purchase experience.
Lori,
Other than condos, which are handled differently, homes are not "VA approved" as such. But they do need to make it through a VA appraisal, both as to value and condition. An experienced real estate agent will be able to give you a good idea as to whether a house will be good with a VA appraiser. In general though, any agent should be able to show you any listed home.
Flag Sat Jul 6, 2013
thank you very much for all your help and information,it has helped me tremendously,once we do find a good VA experienced Agent are we able to pretty much purchase any home we like?for instance if i found a home i loved and its listed by another agent could the agent i am affiliating with that is VA experienced also help me get this home?and would my agent also have knowledge on how to see if the home is VA approved?
Flag Sat Jul 6, 2013
Carolyn and…, Agent, Shreveport, LA
Sun Jul 7, 2013

Carolyn Grimsley, CRS, ABR
Licensed by the State of Louisiana
Web Reference:  http://www.zip711.com
Cathy McCali…, Agent, Bossier City, LA
Sat Jul 6, 2013
Hi Lori,

Buying a home is not something people do often so no worries on understanding the entire process.

The best thing to do is to speak with several Realtors and ask questions. See whom you feel the most comfortable with and what Realtors seem to have answers to your questions.

As far as talking to the listing agent on a home, that is not in YOUR BEST interest. The agent that has the property listed has loyalties to the home SELLER to get as much money as possible for the home with the least repairs by the SELLER.

The BEST thing about having your own BUYERS AGENT is that the SELLER pays all realty fees. These fees are generally around 6% with the listing agent and selling agent each getting 3%!!!

We have and are very happy to have, so many Military Families that most active Realtors can guide you through the VA process. Almost all homes are eligible for VA loans as long as they are not in terrible condition!

I would love the opportunity to visit with you and earn your business.

My cell number is 318-840-1599. If I do not answer please leave me a message and I will contact you ASAP!

Thanks for your question and I hope it helps in your search!
Cathy McCali…, Agent, Bossier City, LA
Sat Jul 6, 2013
Hi Lori,

Katherine Ra…, Agent, Mandeville, LA
Sat Jul 6, 2013
First step is to find a va lender and get qualified. Then ask their recommendation regarding realtors on the area you want to live.
Daniel, , Baton Rouge, LA
Sat Jul 6, 2013
generally speaking, VA approved properties will generally follow FHA guidelines.

however, in the Bossier area...he may also qualify for a USDA Rural Development loan, also no money down

Check with HIS BANK 1st.