Turning on utitilities when buying hud home.

Asked by Antarr Byrd, Houston, TX Mon Nov 19, 2012

I'm buying a hud home and need to have the utilities turned on. I recieved something say that i should contact a field services company,http://www.a2zfieldservices.com/faq.aspx. Does hud require me to go though one of these companies or can I handle this myself ?

Answers

3
Maria Gilda…, Agent, Manchester, CT
Mon Nov 19, 2012
Are you being represented by your realtor? Have him/her contact the listing agent to find out exactly the procedure on how to get the utilities activated for the home inspection.

HUD hire different asset managers and they all have different set of procedures. These asset managers hire different listing agents.

Normally, the property management or preservation company hired by HUD puts the utilities under their name. And then the buyer call the utility companies to transfer the service into his name days before the home inspection. Then request for deactivation after the inspection.

Again, have your realtor check it with the listing agent.

Best of Luck.
Rene Castillo, Agent, Houston, TX
Mon Nov 19, 2012
HUD has it's own set of requirements. Best thing to do, as mentioned below, is speak with your Realtor who should be able to straighten everything out. It all depends on the circumstances. In some instances, you have to request utilities be turned on in the initial offer, Good luck!
Gary Steuern…, Agent, Houston, TX
Mon Nov 19, 2012
Your agent should help you with this, the field services team will let you know if utilities have been turned on and if the house has been winterized and what procedures need to be followed by you and your agent prior to turning on the utilities. See your agent for a clarification and the details.