Home Buying in Mission Bay>Question Details

Sam, Home Buyer in Los Angeles County, CA

Tthere are at least 5 listings at 235 Berry St and two listings at 255 Berry St. Mission Bay. Are some?

Asked by Sam, Los Angeles County, CA Sun May 3, 2009

foreclosures? Which of these listings are the best deals? How do these two complexes stack up aginst the other projects in Mission Bay? Thanks for any insight!

Answers

2
Sally Rosenman’s answer
Hi Sam,

Jason has given you the update on the Signature Property's buildings on Berry Street. I too think they are well constructed.

I am happy to give you my opinions on the new construction in South Beach, Mission Bay and SOMA where I have sold quite a few. There are too many new buildings to write about them in this space. Some are better than others in my opinion.....(some are beautiful and others I do not care for....... to put it bluntly. So if this interests you, please contact me. Otherwise I am sure you will get the info and be able to decide.

Cheers,

Sally
Hi Sam,

I noticed today that nobody responded to your questions this weekend - sorry about that! I noticed it when it came in and was packing up an open house. I thought for sure someone else would have looked into this for you. Regardless, here goes...

There have been 8 listings between these two buildings in the past few months. Each building has one short sale listed. In 255 Berry, Unit #408 is listed at $625k or $598/square foot. It is oriented toward Berry Street, though. In 235 Berry #413 is listed for $789k or $689/square foot and offers some views over China Basin.

These two developments are similar. Compared to other developments I would suggest that they compare favorably. Mission Bay isn't a large area, but these two buildings are located close enough to South Beach and Soma that they are within easy walking distance to grocery stores, restaurants, night life and excellent transportation. This beats Radiance, for example. They are also located right on the water, so they offer something in that regard that would beat Arterra, The Beacon or other properties on that side of King Street. I also like Glassworks, which is across 3rd Street from the ballpark. One difference between the two buildings is that 255 Berry was built in 2004 while 235 Berry was completed in 2007.

Which listings are the best deals? Sort of depends on what you're after... I would prefer to be located on the water side and as high up in these buildings as possible. That's me... In that regard I would think that #317 in 235 Berry would be an interesting prospect. I like, too, that this unit offers two bedrooms.

Anyway, these are my two cents... If I can forward any further details, please let me know!

By the way, there's a great new park locate off Berry Street down there. The next time you are in town, check it out! There's a GREAT sand volleyball court there, tennis, basketball and a kayak launch where you can rent boats for an afternoon. Fun!

Take care and good luck!

Jason Chapin
McGuire Urban Bay
415-420-1143
jchapin@mcguire.com