Trying to understand the school rating. What is meant by the lower rank is better? Does this mean that an A is not good and a F is?

Asked by Debra Lewis, Jacksonville, FL Fri Mar 15, 2013

--
This question was asked from this property: http://www.trulia.com/property/3112131233-8849-Rose-Hill-Dr-…

Answers

5
Hickory & Donna Delegal’s answer
Hickory & Do…, Agent, Jacksonville, FL
Fri Mar 15, 2013
School ratings should be taken with a grain of salt. Most of the schools have caring educational professionals eager and able to provide excellent classes for our children. The rating is based on FCAT (which is a testing provided by a group of non-educators who are in business to make money at the expense of our children.....please thank Jeb Bush....and the rest of the Bush family and their friends for this ridiculous "test" which carries far too much weight in our grading of schools) Visit the school near your home....talk wth the principal....some teachers.....some parents...visit a class or two....YOU will be able to judge the TONE of the school.......some schools are burdened by low scores which tends to create a negative feeling with students....this is UNFAIR. The criteria used for grading schools does NOT have to do with the teaching process or progress........TRUST your instinct......My husband of 48 years and I have 5 children and 11 grandchildren...most of whom are in the public school system. Contact me if you need more input.
Nicole Alvar…, Agent, Jacksonville, FL
Fri Mar 15, 2013
A rated schools are the highest ranked ones. Each year the state will calculate every school's ranking score based on various factors such as the overall performance on fcat scores/ Florida writes etc... Another consideration is given to those schools that continue to improve their scores each year. If a school fails to meet certain score ranges or lowers it performance is could very well receive a lower grade. I hope this information is helpful.
Nicole Alvarez, Realtor
You are very welcome, let me know if you have any additional questions. Thanks you. Nicole Alvarez, Realtor 904-899-3974
Flag Sat Mar 16, 2013
Thank you for the very helpful information.
Flag Fri Mar 15, 2013
Christine Wi…, Agent, St Augustine, FL
Tue Apr 16, 2013
Debra,

You can obtain in-depth information regarding the exact criteria used to score schools. The NE Florida area is comprised of Duval, St Johns, Clay, Baker and Nassau counties. So, you are welcome to google each county school zone website to answer your question thoroughly.
Thanks for the information. It's been along time since I had to worry about schools. My youngest is 32 and now I have a 14 year old. Lord help me. LOL
Flag Sat Apr 27, 2013
Frank & Shar…, Agent, Fleming Island, FL
Fri Mar 15, 2013
Hi Debra,
The school ratings are just as grades are. A is the best and F is the worst. Having said that, when you look at the numbers, you can see that there are many B schools that are just shy of an A and even C schools that are very close to a B.

The best way to gain understanding about a school is to visit it and talk with the staff, and then chat with some parents living in the neighborhood where you are planning to live. School Grade is important, but it doesn't tell you everything about a school.

There are also magnet schools and charter schools that are not a 'zoned school' but are one alternative if the zoned school does not seem up to your standards.

Hope this was helpful to you.

Sharon Alters
Coldwell Banker Vanguard
904-673-2308
sharon@teamalters.com
Marge Bennett, Agent, Fort Myers, FL
Fri Mar 15, 2013
Just like when you were in school, A is excellent, f is failing.
Oh that was some 37 years ago. Thanks
Flag Fri Mar 15, 2013