Sander De Be…, Home Buyer in Budd Lake, NJ

Trulia needs to clean up their database as a lot of houses here are sold or not longer on the market....

Asked by Sander De Beer, Budd Lake, NJ Wed Jan 20, 2010

Answers

6
Mary Petti, Agent, Edison, NJ
Mon Jul 15, 2013
I agree to a point but there are several reasons this happens.

1) The MLS information is slow to update into the Zillow database (if automatically fed from the MLS)

2) The agent manually entered the lisitng into Zillow and never changed the status

3) Zillow (and Trulia) keep listing data and sold data on their sites for reference purposes but I have to say that the "off market" or "sold" status is often not very visible to the user.

4) the "public records" of sales are slow to reach these sites and once public records are on it, it behooves these sites to keep the historical information of the home for reference purposes later down the line.

There's lot of good reasons, for the public's knowledge, to see the history of a property as to when it was last sold, how long it was on the market before it sold and/or expired.

I will say that once a potential seller OR buyer get some basic information from the online sites about where they live (for comps) or where they want to buy, (to see what homes cost in that area etc), that's ALL the more reason to then retain the services of a Realtor to get the most recent "scoop" on property values etc.
Gerry Adler, Agent, Mt Arlington, NJ
Mon Jul 15, 2013
I can't agree more. This is why you need to talk to a realtor, who can give you updated
information by e-mailing you these updates.
Thank You for your interest
Gerry Adler
Dan Chase, Home Buyer, Texas City, TX
Wed Jan 20, 2010
yup yup yup

I search for houses on http://www.realtor.com for that very reason. It is the same mls (pretty much) that the realtors use.
Jenet Levy, Agent, New York, NY
Wed Jan 20, 2010
Sander,
I agree with you. I have seen this myself. But it is the old "garbage in, garbage out" phrase we used to hear a lot in the early days of computers. In this case, if brokerages do not update their listings regularly, which means each individual agent must take responsibility to do this, the feeds will not be up to date on Trulia or any of the other consumer sites. It is great that the public has access to listings and I am all for transparency, but the most up-to-date, accurate and in-depth info is in the systems agents have access to. Therefore, working with a good buyer's agent is the best way to streamline your search and be helped step by step through the buying process.

Hope this helps.
Mary Petti, Agent, Edison, NJ
Wed Jan 20, 2010
Sander,

There are a few possible reasons why this happens:
1) If the listings come to Trulia via direct feed from the broker website (company) once they are changed in the main database, it should update on Trulia. However, some agents forget to do this on their company website, even after they update the MLS listing to closed or expired.

Since most of these listings are also in the MLS, if the feed comes directly from there, then as soon as the status changes to sold/expired it will change onTrulia. (agents MUST manually change the status to closed in their MLS.... expired listings usually expire on their own in the MLS at the end of the listing contract date)

2) If a listing agent manually posts their listings to Trulia,(no direct feed) and never change the status on Trulia, that is another reason. Trulia does send email alerts that our listings are expiring etc, but I am sure some agents just ignore the alert.

Your best bet is to look at homes on real estate websites, see what's available in your price range in areas you are considering, then contact a local agent to see if they are still available, and to get more of the most recent active listings that also meet your needs The MLS is STILL the most accurate compilation of currently available homes.

Of course, many agents also have MLS searches on their websites, or you can go to the public areas of the local MLS and searchfor ACTIVE listings yourself. But why do the work, when an agent will do it for you??
Tanisha Bowen, Agent, Tulsa, OK
Wed Jan 20, 2010
You are correct, but many times it has to do with the way the system is updated with the local MLS (multiple listing system) or possibly the real estate company feed to the Trulia website. As with any website, if the feed is down then no updates. If the real estate company updates to Trulia then it may show you how active & evolving the real estate company is technology wise.

Try contacting a local REALTOR in the area that will fit your needs. They will give you more of your time back by sending you searches that match your criteria & have access to the homes on the market that may not show up on the various websites that you visit.
Web Reference:  http://www.TulsaHomeNews.com