Townhouse vs single family house

Asked by Saran Khalid, Herndon, VA Mon Jul 15, 2013

Ideally, i am looking to buy a single family house with a nice backyard, front yard and a garage.
But due to higher prices and other reasons townhouses sound a more appropriate choice.
I want suggestions from experts as well those who have had the experience of home buying.

Is it a good idea to buy a townhouse now, pay it off in some years later and then buy a nicer house or buy a single family house now since its price will be higher in the future anyway?
Will appreciate your time and effort.

Answers

5
Wholesale Ag…, Agent, Alexandria, VA
Wed Jun 11, 2014
All the other agents have brought up some valid points. Everyone knows buying is always a better option than renting but it's also about what is right for you financially first. So I would sit down with a good loan officer to get pre-approved and get a better idea of what payment and financing options you have. Do you have money for a down payment? How much? Our in house mortgage officers currently have a Zero Money Down financing options for homes under $450k. This is a great option if you do not have much to put down but would limit you to mostly townhouses in the Herndon area depending on size. Finally after you have that all figured out finding a good realtor whom is familiar with the area is very important. They should know what is a not so good deal or what deals you shouldn't pass on.

Give me a call today and I can help you find the right Mortgage officer to start off with and hopefully get you in the best situation right now.

Van Garrett Jr.
Licensed Real Estate Professional
Main:(844) 48DREAM
Cell:(571)295-4414
http://www.DreamHomesAgent.com
Samson Properties
Cash Back To My Home Buyers to use during closings
***Home Sellers Receive 4.5% For Full Service Listings***
Sonal Goda, Agent, Chantilly, VA
Tue Jul 16, 2013
Hi Saran,

If you are able to make the finances work to buy the single family, it is probably a better idea to go for it. I will lay out some of the reasons. For one thing, this is a really big purchase so there's not much point in buying something you don't like. Secondly, it is not a good idea to buy real estate and feel the clock ticking to buy a larger place - you have more peace of mind and less pressure if it is a place you can stay in for a while.

On the other hand, sometimes the choice is between a newer townhome vs an older single family home. A lot of people these days are staying in the newer style townhome as a more permanent choice b/c they are bigger and less maintenance.

So there are various factors to consider. Please let me know if you would like to discuss further with me.

Sonal
Erin Kavanagh, Agent, Ashburn, VA
Mon Jul 15, 2013
My experience is that you won't live in the Townhouse more than a few years. It gets small fast. But the Single... prices are right and so are interest rates... But it all depends on your qualifications.
Faiza Alvi, Agent, Woodbridge, VA
Mon Jul 15, 2013
Saran:

You need to sit with a Realtor who can show you different aspects of the market and guide you in the right direction. There is more to buying a home than just deciding between TH or SFH. Many factors come in play when you hunt for homes and want to stay at a price where you feel comfortable. Give me a call and I'll be happy to discuss your goals and help you with a smart solution. Looking forward to speaking with you soon.

Faiza Alvi - Realtor®
AveryHess Realtors
703-389-7973 (Direct)
http://www.house2homeva.com
MILLION DOLLAR CLUB - PWAR 2011

I believe:
Real Estate is about building relationships
& serving clients with honesty, integrity & passion.
Debra (Debbi…, Agent, Livingston, NJ
Mon Jul 15, 2013
What's right for one person might not be right for someone else.

If it's your heartfelt desire to own a single family home, and have that back yard.....then buy the best one you can find in your price range.
You can always add on/enlarge it, or make other improvements down the road.

If you're not sure about the idea of buying a town home.....then don't buy it!

It sounds like you're looking for the privacy and land that owning a home will give you.