Townhomes- Garage or without Garage?

Asked by Balaji, Parlin, NJ Mon Aug 30, 2010

How much more should you factor in the cost of the home for the Garage? I see a lot of homes without garages which are nice, but i am confused about the selling point of not having a garage!

Answers

4
Lyle Wolf’s answer
Lyle Wolf, Agent, Morristown, NJ
Mon Sep 6, 2010
I agree with Jeanne. In New Jersey, people like garages and basements. You will always be better off getting a townhome with one or both of these if you are given the choice and can afford it.
Jeanne Feeni…, Agent, Basking Ridge, NJ
Thu Sep 2, 2010
Hi there, a garage is a valuable feature of a home. As to its impact on value in your area, your best bet is to drill into the detail with the assistance of a local agent. This type of data is easy to access via the MLS and it should definitely be a consideration.

Another consideration that impacts value - basements - I'm of the opinion that townhomes with basements will retain their value better than those without - I would say the same regarding garages.

Good luck with your evaluation and decision making.

Jeanne Feenick
Unwavering Commitment to Service
Web Reference:  http://www.feenick.com
Jerry Barker, Agent, Atlantic City, NJ
Mon Aug 30, 2010
Having a garage will increase your home owners insurance preimiums, if that helps any.
Bruce Gresh, Agent, SPRING HILL, FL
Mon Aug 30, 2010
If having a garage is not common for all comps in your market, then the value of having a garage would be higher.