Townhome or condo in Jacksonville Florida

Asked by Sunwrshp1, 32256 Fri Sep 21, 2012

First time home buyer considering a town home or condo. I plan to live in it indefinitely as I have no plans on moving. There seems to be more positives to buying a townhome. I'd appreciate some professional opinions.

Answers

4
Stephen McRory’s answer
Stephen McRo…, Mortgage Broker Or Lender, Tampa, FL
Sat Sep 22, 2012
-
Take the advice of a FLORIDA MORTGAGE BROKER/ INVESTOR

Go for the Townhome by far!

1. better financing
2. better appreciation
3. better chances of renting it to a bigger segment of renters
4. better chance of selling it faster if needed
5. better than living in an apartment

See the loan programs for Townhomes and Condosat: http://www.pro-option.com

==
Blaine Rabe, Agent, Jacksonville, FL
Sat Sep 22, 2012
Good Day,

The two properties are quite similar, but different in the life style. Most folks go to several different properties and look at the products. They might both be OK for you, but check to be sure you get one you like.

Blaine Rabe
Remax
OP FL
904-874-0814
John Breen, Agent, Jacksonville, FL
Fri Sep 21, 2012
Townhouse is my choice. Nobody above or below. Most come with garage and a little yard. Lower Hoa fees are a huge plus. That's my choice. :). Have a great day
Ryan Ford, Agent, Saint Augustine, FL
Fri Sep 21, 2012
Good Evening,

This choice between condo and town home comes down to several variables. First variable would be to determine if the condo complex you like is even able to be financed (this of course does not apply if you are paying cash). A great deal of condo complexes are not able to be financed due to the amount of foreclosures in them, as well as the amount of renters vs. homeowners occupying them. A loan officer can give you other variables that are considered as well. Town homes do not have as strict lending requirements as condos do. The second variable would be with regards to the covenants and restrictions each have. Usually condos have stricter covenants and restrictions than town homes, especially with regards to pets. If you have pets it would be a good idea to verify that they would be allowed in the complex. The third variable would be the difference in the HOA fees. HOA fees are also usually higher in condo complexes. The high HOA fees sometimes scare buyers away. Verify what the hoa fees cover. Sometimes water, electric, cable, trash pick... other utilities are included in the hoa fee. Also the exterior insurance of the building is usually part of the HOA fee as well. You would only need what is typically called dwelling or renters insurance. Townhomes you would have to get your own insurance. In both condos and townhomes common elements like the roof when needing to be replaced, may require a special assessment for complex if there is not a great enough reserve to cover the costs. Overall it comes down to preference between the two. They are very similar with regards to sharing walls and lifestyle. If you would like information on condo and townhome communities in your area, please don't hesitate to contact me.

Ryan Ford P.A. Realtor
Watson Realty Corp
904-495-4121
http://www.floridafirstcoastrealty.com
ryanford@watsonrealtycorp.com