To agents: Do you ever become very good friends with your clients?

Asked by Home Owner, San Jose, CA Wed Sep 21, 2011

Or do you keep everything strictly professional?
Just curious.

Answers

11
Guy Ghanem, , Las Vegas, NV
Wed Sep 21, 2011
I think there are different levels of friendship. As an agent/client relationship develops, it is important to recognize that the professional relationship comes first during the transaction. Having said that, when you are spending a certain amount of time with someone which you are involved in helping that person make one of the biggest decisions that will influence their family and lifestyle, it's quite difficult not to develop some sense of friendship that is somewhat deeper than the agent/client relationship (after all we aren't robots). After the sale, is where you can begin to build on that relationship to become personal friends should the agent and the client be open to it. Sometimes there are clients where you as the agent feel it is better not to befriend on personal level and keep the relationship strictly on a professional level.

I have clients who are strictly clients "all business". I have client friends where we call each other and catch up on life, I have client friends we go to dinner with and share holiday events, and I even have client friends that my family and I have been on vacation with. Ultimately, it's up to both parties as to what they feel want and feel comfortable with.
Stacy Carter, Agent, Roswell, GA
Wed Sep 21, 2011
Great question!

During the transaction, it is important to keep it VERY professional. With buyers, yes, you end up spending a lot of time in the car and you can't help getting to know them on a personal level, however, paying attention to the details of the transaction and negotiating a favorable deal for your client is the number one priority. It is our job to separate ourselves from the emotional reactions (and/or attachments) to a home to make sure we don't miss something in the process.

After the transaction...that's a different story. Being invited over for dinner or a glass of wine is the ultimate compliment and walking away with a life long friendship is a true gift.

Stacy Carter
Associate Broker
Home Appreciators Team at
Better Homes & Gardens Real Estate Metro Brokers
678-641-6631
John Long, Agent, Carmel, IN
Wed Sep 21, 2011
Our business is all about creating life long relationships. I have become friends with many who started off as clients and many of my best friends have become my best clients. There is nothing wrong with being friendly and professional. In fact, most of the time it leads to referrals.
Gloria Dixon, , Duluth, GA
Wed Sep 21, 2011
Yes, i have made friends through my sells and even some who were the buyer's with another agent. These friendships sometime turn out to be the best. I am always professional with my clients and only want the best for them. As with any relationship you get back what you put in. I always listen and learn there interest first. Always be who you really are. I enjoy my work and have been blessed to meet wonderful people.

Gloria Dixon
Re/Max Center
Ralph Windsc…, Agent, Hauppauge, NY
Wed Sep 21, 2011
This is a people business so - yes - you do often become friends or at least very friendly with your clients and customers. I have one client that I helped buy an investment rental condo, rented it out for them 3 times now, found their daughter a house, went to her house warming party with my wife, then got invited to the other daughter's wedding (who I am now also looking at houses with). Of course, you try to keep things as business like as possible but one of the great things about this business is you get to meet and know many great people.

Ralph Windschuh
Associate Broker
Senior Real Estate Specialist
Certified Buyer Representative
Century 21 Princeton Properties
631-467-0009 (office)
631-495-4711 (cell)
rwindschuh@c21princetonproperties.com
Suzanne MacD…, Agent, Morristown, NJ
Wed Sep 21, 2011
I try to keep it strictly professional, but sometimes you just have a connection with people and they end up being very, very good friends in spite of your best intentions. I have two or three very good friends that started out as clients.
Steven Atkin…, Agent, Malad City, ID
Wed Sep 21, 2011
I agree with Stacy Carter. I think it best to stay professional during the transaction. If you really become friends with them, it would be after the transaction when there isn't a large decision influencing each other.

Steve Atkinson
Hayden Outdoors Real Estate
Participating with Cabela's Trophy Properties
Alan May, Agent, Evanston, IL
Wed Sep 21, 2011
I have spent more time with some of my buyer clients, than with my wife. So, yes, I have become good friends with many of my buyers.

We share holiday cards, see each other socially, go out to dinner, talk about our kids, swap wives, go to the theatre .... wait... uh... forget the wife swapping part (how did that slip in there?)...
Terry McCarl…, Agent, Cape Coral, FL
Wed Sep 21, 2011
Some of my very best friends are people I met while assisting them with the sale or purchase of their property. I think this happens alot in the real estate business.
Laura Feghali, Agent, Stamford, CT
Wed Sep 21, 2011
Hello Home88,
Yes, it is common for an agent to become good friends with their clients.

A good real estate agent follows up with their clients after the sale and remains in touch to keep them informed on the market (if they wish this) and to just see how they are doing.

Referral business from past clients is one way for agents to grow their business so they must stay in touch. If a friendship develops; then it's all the better!

Laura Feghali
Prudential Connecticut Realty
Ron Thomas, Agent, Fresno, CA
Wed Sep 21, 2011
I haven't found it possible to not get involved:
Spending months together, sharing hopes and dreams, not to mention personal and financial information...
I want to keep in touch later, just to share the moments of their new life.
Buying a house is one of the Big Three in life and it changes everything.