Home Buying in San Antonio>Question Details

Audrey, Real Estate Pro in Austin, TX

Title company question - who gets credit for property taxes, buyer or seller?

Asked by Audrey, Austin, TX Tue Jul 31, 2012

I recently sold a small apt. complex in San Antonio, TX back in 9/1/2011. The HUD-1 settlement states that I gave the new owner/buyer credit for the property taxes for the time I owned it (Jan 1-Sept 1). However for year 2011, I got billed for the entire amount from Jan 1 to Dec 1. Bexar Cty told me that I was billed as I was the owner of record on Jan 1st. Any title officer out there? Please, who is correct? What is the norm of things when it comes to change of ownership during the year?

Thank you all, again. I will have to drive to SA to settle this mess. It appears that the appraisal district made a mistake by dropping off one of the two lots I sold, from their records on Sept 1st (day of closing).

But they cannot "see" their mistake by a conversation over the phone, so I will have to pay them a visit. FYI, it is a big mess when someone in the appraisal district makes a mistake in their computer. Now I have to prove it with all the docs I have. Also, what a bunch of mistrained individuals who answers the phone at their "call center."
When you close a sale/purchase with title insurance, the title company "insures" that the taxes are paid, so they are responsible for cleaning up any issues such as yours.

Bottom line is that the taxes were not yet due and payable at the time you closed your sale and the tax office is incorrect, but they can only base it on what they have in their records and the title company will now need to "fix" the issue.
Always best direct your questions back to Title company for fact they have all the documents and etc. OR contact county tax office

Lynn911 Dallas Realtor & Consultant, Credit Repair Advisor
Multimillion Dollar Sales Producer

Follow me on Facebook
When you sold the home... the new buyer is responsible for the whole year now as you gave them credit from Jan 1 to the day of closing when you closed on the home.

It's a non-issue now. Not to worry. :)
Thank you all who answered. I wanted someone to tell me that I am not wrong or stupid, for that is how they made me feel.

I live in Austin and the answer the Bexar County officials (both tax dist. and appraisal) are saying that the owner of record on 1/1/2011 (that was me) is responsible for the entire bill. I need to bring it up with the new owner and let him pay me back. What????

I will be driving down from Austin to SA to clear things up with the officials. No one wants to pick up the phone to communicate with the other official and vice versa. No one there on 411 Frio cares.
This may be a non issue. Go to http://www.bcad.org and check if the 2011 taxes have been paid in full, and that the Appraisal District no longer show the property in your name. If that's all done you can forget about it.

Best regards
Leah McNamara GRI BPOR
Managing Broker
Best Practices Realty
Direct: (210) 745-1411
email: Broker@BestPracticesRealty.com
Web Reference: http://www.BestPracticesRealty.com
Buyer is credited your portion at closing from Jan 1 to closing date and they pay the taxes at end of year. This is a mistake.....maybe the paperwork from closing was not filed into county records? It is a mistake, but one that needs investigation and attention to correct.
New owner is responsible for the entire tax bill for that year since you have already paid the buyer your portion of the prorated taxes for 2011.
Contact the title company that closed your loan. Maybe they can help?!?!?!

This is a mistake. Buyer will pay the taxes.

Tom Burris
Mortgage Banker
(214) 763-4629 cell/text/nights/weekends(Really!!)
Lending all across the entire Great State of Texas!!
NMLS# 335055
Search Dallas area MLS for FREE. No registration => http://www.ntreisinnovia.net/cgi-ntr/BR_login?0501134