Tiny house and can I put it on any lot?

Asked by hinling, San Francisco, CA Wed Jul 9, 2014

I recently watched the "Tiny House Nation" on FYI and really inspired by the tiny house movement. How feasible that is to buy a lot and put a tiny house on it? have anyone done this and would like to share their experience?

Answers

3
Simon Campbe…, Agent, Miami Beach, FL
Wed Jul 9, 2014
Before purchasing a Tiny House, you should check into the zoning requirements on the minimum size. It is not uncommon for zoning authorities to require homes be a specific size (usually measured in square feet). I wonder if you could get away with putting the house on a walkout basement (lol - that would look interesting). Often three sides would need to be exposed to qualify as a living area.
Ryan Rudnick, Agent, San Francisco, CA
Tue Jul 15, 2014
As an agent that works on construction in SF, I'm pretty familiar with building codes, and I doubt you'd have much luck getting the city to agree to a tiny house on a lot in the city. That being said, SF is stricter than most areas, so if you'd branch out to other parts of the bay area, I'm sure you could find a place where it would work. It will all depend on the individual city building codes of the area the lot is located.
Dorene Slavi…, Agent, Torrance, CA
Mon Jul 14, 2014
I also think it's an interesting idea. You will have to check with city zoning to be sure you can put one on a Residential lot