Thoughts on ASHFORD PARK, Brookhaven

Asked by Leanne, Atlanta, GA Mon Sep 8, 2008

Is it not desirable b/c of schools (ashford park, montgomery elem)? Or are homes over 500K sitting on market longer b/c there are not a lot of buyers out in that range.
This feeds to ashford park or montgomery elem school and chamblee middle/high not sure if the elem schools are any good. Is this area safe or is it a transition area...that is not really transitioning as it once was planned.
I have 3 small children so safety and public school are important also not too far of a comute to the Emory/CDC area.
thanks for any thoughts

Answers

5
Frank Carollo…, Agent, Decatur, GA
Mon Sep 15, 2008
Leanne,

All I can say is Bravo Sarah Turner, she hit the head on the nail! I have listed and personally sold over 20 of the new construction homes in the Ashford Park neighborhood, and many of the buyers have small children, and they are planning on sending them to the area elem. school, Ashford Park. Keep in mind, since the neighborhood has transitioned so will the schools. One very important note that Chamblee High was ranked this year as #1 over Lakeside High! I would suggest that you make appointment with the schoool and take a tour. All schools are very open to touring and speaking with potential new parents to its district, and I am sure this will help in making your decision. Bets of Luck in your search!
Frank Carollo GRI, ABR
Top 1% Sales DeKalb County 2005, 2006, 2007
Named Top Atlanta 100 REALTORS Communities Magazine
RE/MAX Metro Atlanta
404-285-4761
http://www.frankcarollo.com
Sarah S. Tur…, Home Owner, Atlanta, GA
Wed Sep 10, 2008
Leanne,

I would definitely go to the websites recommended by the Realtors below. Ashford Park is a very sought after area in my opinion. The land value itself has doubled/tripled over the last year or two. The new Brookhaven Station is just going to continue this trend. I would get in before it gets too outrageously priced.

The problem you're seeing with the new constructions sitting, is that they are all higher-end properties. High-end properties in Atlanta, in general, are struggling in this market due to the mortgage industry, and I wouldn't expect it to continue long-term. With the buy out of Fannie & Freddie, hopefully we'll see a surge in all price brackets.

I had a first-time buyer client that bought in Ashford Park last year for around $275k, today I would probably list for $325k... That's a lot of appreciation in just 9 months. She absolutely loves her neighborhood and location. She has taken extra precautions to make herself feel safe, but overall has had a positive experience thus far.

Living anywhere intown you're going to come across some signifigant crime statistics. We live in a big city, the economy sucks, so you can expect some perps to be out there preying. Car and home break-ins are going to happen whether you live in Ansley Park, Ashford Park, Reynoldstown, or on the Westside. It's an unescapable trend, no matter how "nice" and "past transitional" the area is. You just need to take percautions to protect yourself, your family, and your property - just don't ever become complacent.

If I were you I would be more concerned about the school system, do your research, or have your Realtor do his/her research. It will effect your kids + your re-sale value down the line. Make sure whoever you choose to represent you is doing some hardcore research to ensure that you're making a solid investment!

Good Luck & if I can assist you in any other way, please don't hesitate to contact me!
Sarah Turner, Realtor
Sanctuary Real Estate
300 North Highland Avenue Unit B
Atlanta, GA 30307
(404)323-9976
sarah.turner@yourownsanctuary.com
Lee Taylor, Agent, Decatur, GA
Tue Sep 9, 2008
Good answers from Katina and Tony!

Leanne, if you seek proximity to Emory and the CDC, and good schools, then look no further than the gently rolling hills rising northward above the Emory and CDC campuses. Oak Grove ESD is outstanding. Sagamore Hills, Briarlake and Briar Vista ESD's are good. If safety and public schools are important, and if a shorter commute is pretty cool, then the Atlanta and Decatur neighborhoods of "unincorporated Dekalb" north of the city of Decatur are a strong choice over and above Ashford Park.

Many streets of Ashford Park were a little rougher in the mid-20th century, but not nowadays. I live in Kirkwood and I don't think that my neighborhood is "unsafe." I have a remarkably different perspective, and I'm street smart.

Many of my clients comment that they find some of the streets of Ashford Park "incongruent" - mini-mansion new builds, mixed with cute ranches, and not so cute dilapidations...not a true "neighborhood" of "neighbors." I disagree, because many of my friends and many of my other clients are active, social, vibrant "neighbors" of Ashford Park.

Your schools research will tell the tale. Depending on how much you can afford, start with Oak Grove ESD, and then check the others nearby - your children can matriculate through to Lakeside HS and receive a nationally recognized government education.

You have lots of choices and you do not need to overpay for anything, or settle for less than the very best for your family.
Web Reference:  http://intowninsider.com/
Katina Wright, Other Pro, Atlanta, GA
Mon Sep 8, 2008
Greetings Leanne,
Brookhaven is a highly sought after area by people who love the idea. Just like any area, neighborhood or City, there is always going to be someone who can't see themselves living anywhere else. Personally, I've fallen in love with the idea of the Palm Islands of Dubai...but I digress.

There is a website where you can compare schools. Check out http://www.greatschools.net to assess the statistics available regarding the schools.

Luxury homes have a tendancy to carry a longer market time due to thier luxury price tags. Keep in mind that this is a buyer's market meaning there are more homes for sale than there are buyers. Market time is also affected by this pesky prudent little fact. As a buyer you have the confidence of knowing that there will always be another one coming along that may have more of what you are looking for in a home.

I think you would enjoy the nieghborhoods. Be an advocate for your kids and visit the schools that they will be potentially enrolled in. Investigate, talk to teachers and observe the environment. No one can be offended by your desire to make sure you are doing what's best for your family.

Tony Teixeira, Agent, Atlanta, GA
Mon Sep 8, 2008
There's actually quite a bit going on in that part of town. It's true that many homes are just sitting, but many of those homes probably need to priced lower than they are. There is so much going on in Brookhaven in particular that I can only see this area prospering. As far as schools go, I would simply get online and check out the schools' reputation. Defining a school as "safe" is so subjective, you really just need to see the area for yourself. Visit the schools, check out their scores and go from there. Even that is a multi-layer process. Do you look at SAT scores, CRCT scores or other scores? Do a search online and you'll find a lot of information that's relevant to what you are looking for. The AJC is known for it's yearly report on schools. You can find information here http://schools.ajchomefinder.com/
Good Luck, and let me know if I can be of further assistance.
My office is in Brookhaven and we are the #1 Keller Williams team in Atlanta.

--
Tony Teixeira
770-851-5050
tonysellsatlanta@gmail.com
tony@muffleyhomes.com

Muffley & Associates
#1 Selling Keller Williams group in Atlanta 2007
#2 Selling KW group in South East Region 2007
#21 Selling KW group in the Country to date 2008

See My Community!
Earth friendly, sustainable homes...
reduce your carbon footprint ...
guilt-free luxury living:...
http://www.highlandvillageatl.com
Web Reference:  http://www.muffleyhomes.com