browneyez3599, Renter in New Port Richey, FL

This home that I have rented for almost 10 years is going to auction due to the landlord letting it go into foreclosure. How long do I have to move?

Asked by browneyez3599, New Port Richey, FL Thu Apr 18, 2013

after the auction. How long after the bank buys it back, or an investor. Do i have rights to get cash for keys, is there anything I can do at all to buy me some time?? Desperate and cant afford a lawyer. PLEASE HELP!

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Roland Vinya…, Agent, Sprakers, NY
Tue May 28, 2013
First, look at your lease. What does it say? Then seek legal advice. S Zimm's advice is also good; there are places where you can get free advice on a situation such as yours. A call to any real estate attorney's office should start you in the right direction. Explain that you cannot afford their services and ask for a recommendation on who you can turn to.
2 votes
Fred Strickr…, Agent, New Port Richey, FL
Mon Aug 12, 2013
I am not an attorney, but if you have a bona fide lease, you may be afforded some protections under the federal Protecting Tenants at Foreclosure Act of 2009 (PTFA) (see link below) which gives eligible tenants 90 days to vacate in some cases, which the new owner has to honor if the tenant is eligible.

Regarding cash for keys, many of the reputable lenders are offering cash for keys to tenants and abiding by the PTFA, but if a private party (not the lender) purchases the home at auction, they may not honor the PTFA or pay a cash for keys and move to evict immediately. It is upon the tenant to take the appropriate actions on their behalf.

Again, I advise you to get an attorney because an attorney can help you navigate through the process.

Best wishes!

Fred Strickroot, Realtor®, MBA, CDPE, EPRO®, SFR
Florida Lic. Real Estate Brokerage
2154 Seven Springs Blvd, Suite 103
Trinity, FL 34655
0 votes
Steven Zimme…, Agent, New Port Richey, FL
Thu Apr 18, 2013

While yours in not such an uncommon situation, seek the advice of an Attorney ! there are several Legal Hotlines that may be able to provide you free advice.

Steven Zimmerman Realtor ABR GRI
0 votes
Scott Godzyk, Agent, Manchester, NH
Thu Apr 18, 2013
It will depend on your states laws. The best scenario is cash for keys. That way you can move and get some money to assit you rather than waiting for an eviction letter. You can try to google landlord tenant law for Fl or try to call the state AG's office and see if they can quote you Fl law.
0 votes
Jason Nadler, Agent, Tampa, FL
Thu Apr 18, 2013
All these questions have legal implications and as much as I would love to help, an attorney is going to be the one to talk to. I did a fast google search and found various answers that may help, check out
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more