Thinking of moving to mid-atlantic or NE coast looking for recommendations on family neighborhoods.

Asked by David, Atlanta, GA Mon Nov 5, 2007

Jobs allow us to live anywhere.
1) Want a family community consisting of an eclectic blend of accomplished people who are passion about what they do and multi-dimensional
2) Both adults and kids need only go out their front door to spend time with friends and play.
3) Community residents look out for each other and are very involved.
4) Families can walk or ride bikes through-out the community without much concern about safety;
5) Community has a town center with quaint boutiques, restaurants and coffee shops
6) Close to water (lake or ocean) preferred, nature as a source of education and entertainment needs to be close, walking distance preferred
7) Good public schools preferred but not must
8) Easy access to a big city and airport (e.g., can take the train or ferry)
9) Four seasons; warmer weather preferred; we are in atlanta now
10) Homes in the $800k to $1.5MM range
11) Would consider planned community as long as not a clear-cut community

Answers

1
Diane Glander, Agent, Spring Lake, NJ
Mon Nov 5, 2007
Spring Lake, NJ is a wonderful town. I lived there 20 years and raised my 4 children there. You can go to my website and check out the demographics and school stats, but I'll answer some of your questions here, too.
We are a small town (only about 1 sq. mi) on the Jersey shore. Located about an hours drive to NYC or Phila, there is mass transit available via train, bus, or ferry service. There isn't a single traffic light in town. We have some of the most beautiful architecture along the coastline and the town has been written up in numerous publications. There is a town center which is about 4 blocks long and hosts many different retail, professional, and restaurant businesses. We are bordered on the east by the Atlantic Ocean, but there are an additional 3 lakes in town. It has been nicknamed "Camelot" because it is that beautiful, thanks in large part to the very strict zoning and a vision that has been maintained since the founding fathers designed the town.
It's the kind of town where everyone knows everyone. You won't walk through town without running into someone you know. We cherish our children and there are numerous activities/organizations to keep them busy, parks too. Of course, the schools are wonderful. The beach is our favorite meeting ground.
There are Jr. lifeguard programs, exercise programs, etc if holding down a beach chair isn't enough for you! You can also run or bike the boards. They are a mile long and connect all the way North to Asbury Park.
Safety-wise, the biggest crime is when someone's bike gets stolen. Wicker porch furniture is also a favorite item to steal.
There are homes in your price range. You may find, however, that you can afford more home because our taxes are extremely low. Typically on a $1M home, you will pay only 5000-6000/yr.
It is an extremely desirable town for these and so many more reasons. Most people agree, there's nothing like it around. It is truly like stepping back in time. If you should decide you would like to hear more or receive copies of some of the properties available, please feel free to contact me via Trulia or my website.
Web Reference:  http://www.dianeglander.com