Beth, Home Buyer in 32829

Thinking of building my home instead since I have been looking for the right home for a year. Now I'm thinking

Asked by Beth, 32829 Sun Sep 21, 2008

of taking after my parents and having a house built. I have helped build about 10 houses with my father so I would be very hands on. Anyone know of a good company/contractor here in Orlando that is honest and what I would need to do to build? I am just trying to get names and ideas for now until I know for sure this is the way I am going. I was thinking this might be the best idea as I guess I am somewhat "picky" about what I want...

3 /2 house
prefer 2 story or a nice 1 story that fit my style for the most part
larger master bedroom (or 2 rooms that I can combine if a 4 bedroom)
larger master bathroom or a room to expand current bathroom
a nice back yard with room for a hot tub and my pug to run around and can be fenced
an nice size kitchen and would love a sep DR
NOT updated as it may not be my style (i am not afraid of painting, reflooring...)

I am still currently looking for that perfect home but if I can not find it I am honestly thinking of building.

Answers

7
Louise Warri…, , Lake Mary, FL
Mon Sep 22, 2008
Hi Beth -- As I look through your criteria, nothing seems to be so unusual that you would have to build it. As Paul stated, it would probably be much more financially advantageous to buy an existing house than to build it from scratch. It's my understanding that you are looking at around $130-$150/sq.ft to build a basic house in an average location.

There is so much inventory on the market, I would encourage you to try looking again. It might be a good idea to make yourself a list of things you must have (e.g., school district, block construction, location of lot [on a pond, conservation, acreage], age of home), i.e., all things that you couldn't /wouldn't change if you bought the property. Then I'd made a list of "deal breakers" (things the property/home has that would absolutely disqualify it [pool if you don't want a pool, close to industrial/commercial area, zero lot line, flat roof, etc.].

When you've identified these things, I'd contact a Realtor, explain that you might be high maintenance :>) -- just kidding -- and ask him/her if they'd like to help you find your home. You didn't state the price range or location so I'm not sure if what you're looking for is realistic for the amount of money you have, but I can categorically tell you that a 3/2 with the above criteria is out there many times over.

One other thing--if you will only be happy in a brand new neighborhood (where all of the homes are equally new), it still may be possible, but you're seriously narrowing the field of potential properties. If you want a new home, and dron't care if it is in an established area, I would highly suggest you look at homes of all ages that meet your basic criteria and then assess whether you can make it "new" with some remodelling/upgrading and still keep it within your budget. I personally would prefer an older home with some "warts" that I can work on and make my own. I've never seen a home that I didn't want to move a wall or change the floor material....

If you continue to want to go the build it from scratch route, I'd check with the HBA (Home Builders Association) located in Maitland. They should be able to direct you to a builder who could work within your budget.

If I can be of help, please call me.

Best of luck and Happy House Hunting.

Louise Warring
Coldwell Banker Residential Real Estate
Faye Martin, , Oviedo, FL
Tue Sep 23, 2008
Beth,
If you are looking at building a home and are unsure of a builder I would suggest you go online to http://www.newhomesource.com It will provide over 200 communities that are being buildt in by various builders. Brochures and floor plans are available on most models. This will give you an opportunity to contact builders of interest or visit the projects to determine the best builder for your needs. Good luck.
Faye Martin
Rick Aguirre, Agent, Orlando, FL
Mon Sep 22, 2008
Beth,
What area are you looking in. 32828?
Let us know as to build now although convenient ( you can build exactly as you wish) is probably more expensive.
Builders and Contractors, I would shop around and get estimates.
Hope this helps,
Rick,
Louise Warri…, , Lake Mary, FL
Mon Sep 22, 2008
Hi Beth --

The house on Grayson already closed a couple of weeks ago, so try to erase it from your mind. :>( There are some others in Park Manor with pools (a couple are short sales, but if you're not in a super hurry, they may be possibilities). http://mfr.mlxchange.com/Pub/EmailView.asp?r=1162206449&…

There are also some others in the zip codes you mentioned that looked good to me:
With pools http://mfr.mlxchange.com/Pub/EmailView.asp?r=409590415&s…
Without pools http://mfr.mlxchange.com/Pub/EmailView.asp?r=116338135&s…
Most of these, though, don't have as many square feet as the one on Grayson.

Please let me know if you'd like to go out and see any of these. As someone who has worked in a real estate office, you know that we can send you emails of new listings as they come on the market so you can be the "first one in" to see it. Also, my website is a good place to go to search the entire MLS on your own, by zipcode/price, etc.

Hope to hear from you. Happy House Hunting!

Louise Warring
Coldwell Banker Residential Real Estate
Paul Antonel…, Agent, Saint Cloud, FL
Mon Sep 22, 2008
Hi Beth
All I can say is that in todays market you are much better off buying a re-sale home. You could not build a home less expensive.
The other thing to remember is that there is no perfect home out there. It is what you make it.
good luck
Paul
Matthew, , 32757
Mon Sep 22, 2008
My suggestion to you is to find a reputable Realtor and have them do the leg work for you. There are a multitude of homes out there to satisfy anyones needs. Find a Realtor and stick with them until you find exactly what you want.
Beth, Home Buyer, 32829
Mon Sep 22, 2008
Thank you both for your responses. I would prefer an older home with newer ac/electrical/plumbing vs a newer, just like you Louise. I am looking at the East side of Orlando as I currently live in Waterford and work behind UCF. For example, here are the zips I am looking at currently: 32828, 32825, 32826, 32820, 32817 (closer to UCF) and maybe 32762, 32765. I worked in a Real Estate office for a little bit so I did pick up some helpful tips and am not one of those "new homebuyers" that look at a place as it is, I think about what it can be made into and overlook paint colors and flooring. As of now, I don't have any children so the school district is not that important to me as it maybe down the road. I am looking to stay under $150K which is why building is my last resort.

If it helps any...I am totally in love with 1136 Grayson (O4813732) but didn't get my offer in in time to get it (unless one of you lovely people tell me it's still on the market). I love the Park Manor location, with over 2400sq ft, the separate DR, a larger backyard, the bar in the house (love!), circular stairs to the upstairs, and the second story balcony overlooking the pool. It fit all my needs and what I loved. I would have had to repaint, reside, refloor, resurface the pool and driveway, redone the kitchen and baths, newer windows... but I loved it.

I would also consider a place that is a little further out but still close to the UCF area if it had more land for my price range. I might also consider foreclosures as I am learning about them now. Thanks so much again. I am going to add a list of deal breakers on to my "want" list now.