Home Buying in Laguna Woods>Question Details

randy_haslam, Home Buyer in Laguna Woods, CA

There's a number of homes selling under $50k. Is there something drastically wrong with these homes? Can I tour these homes?

Asked by randy_haslam, Laguna Woods, CA Thu Sep 12, 2013

Hi Randy,

Most of the homes listed for under $50,000 are located at 24055 Paseo Del Lago. This location is known as the Towers. There are two 14 story buildings. The homes range from 500 square feet (a studio) to 1600 square feet (penthouse). Of course, the 500 square feet studios are the cheapest homes in the Village. There are currently 11 studio homes for sale with an average price of $5000. The prices go up for the larger homes. Most of these homes have very nice views.

The HOA fees for the Towers are much higher than the rest of Laguna Woods Village. They range from $1739/month for the smallest home to $2031/month for the largest home. This HOA fee is for one person. If a second person lives in the home, there is an additional fee of $609/month. So what does it cover: all utilities except your telephone and internet, basic cable, weekly housekeeping, an evening meal, front desk security, elevator service and all the other amenities offered in the Village. This would include seven clubhouse, golf, tennis, five swimming pools, fitness centers, horse stables, RV parking area and much more. There are also more than 200 clubs.

If you have any additional questions, please either email me or call me.

Best regards
Lisa Mills
Century 21 Rainbow Realty
Laguna Woods
(949) 678-9919
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Sep 12, 2013
Hi randy,

Lisa is right. These are the towers where the price is inexpensive but you pay a monthly fee of 1,000-1,600 or more. The have maid service etc this is to help you as an elderly person
They also can have some meals delivered to you.

Is this something you are thinking of for yourself or wondering why these are so cheap to buy?
Let me know how I can help you

Talk to you soon

Ingrid Ski Realtor
Ed Young, instead of being coy or mysterious, why not - for the possible edification of OTHER people who might consider such a "purchase" - do your "explaining" to the forum?

Explain, for example, the differences in "purchasing" a co-op property vs. a fee simple transaction, as well as a few similar nuances to living in Laguna Woods.

Just a thought.
Looks like you got a really good answer below.

Let me know if you need a purchase loan for the property or want to get pre-approved (this will increase the chances of your loan being accepted) because I can certainly help you out there. You can call me at 408-352-5147 or email me at AGreer@themortgageoutlet.com. You can check us out at http://www.TheMortgageOutlet.com. I will look at your situation and present you with some options.

Alex Greer
Far from anything wrong, these are excellent homes. Please call me at 949-307-5121, I will be happy to explain and set up a tour for you.
Friends of mine purchased a one bedroom ground level condo in Laguna Woods about 3 years ago for $78,000. It's possible there are some very low priced properties but would check with Bill Buss who's a Laguna Woods expert. He can be reached at 949.933.7604.
If you are looking at sites such as RealtyTrac the amount you see is what the homeowner is past due. It is not the amount you can purchase the property for.