There must be a slope in the structure. The master bath was added on a lower ground supported by a vaulted wall. The added portion must be falling.

Asked by Northstar, Los Angeles, CA Wed Feb 17, 2010

As a result the window in the original structure next to the addition is warped and I cannot close the window completely. There is 0.5cm gap between the frame and window because the frame warped. Also I found a crack on the dry wall starting from the corner of a door. The house is sitting on a slope (not a major slope at all). Is this a serious issue? Which expert should I contact to further diagnose? Could this be a costly item to fix?

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Anthony Perez’s answer
Anthony Perez, Agent, Northridge, CA
Thu Feb 18, 2010
I am able to assist you I'm a 20 year retiring A-1 Engineering contractor and now a ICC certified inspector now conducting home inspections, we have infrared technology and other equipment.

You first need to look at the foundation!

Sincerely, TonyP
1 vote
Joe Nernberg, , Calabasas, CA
Wed Feb 17, 2010
Infra-red should be your next (if not the last) inspection. Even the best Geotechnical engineer cannot look through walls. Thermal imaging will reveal framing defects that an engineer can only guess.

A seasoned home inspector will look for multiple defects that add up to structural or earth failure. An infra red inspection is the most sensible step and more-often-than-not gives peace of mind.
1 vote
Monique & Joe…, Agent, Beverly Hills, CA
Wed Feb 17, 2010
Hello Northstar,

Since you are on a hillside it is best to consult a structural engineer to inspect the situation and make recommendations. The inspection fee isn't too much. Lastly, you may need a Geologist if it's a soil issue and/or a drainage inspection if it's drainage related. Not guarantees but it could be a foundation issue/drainage issue/soil issue. I would order all three of those inspections with the Structural Engineer first. I recommend you get inspection from an outside party that doesn't do the repairs so you can get honest answers to your issue. The gentleman that I recommend is Tom Purkiss (310) 306-3055 , Structural Engineer and Geologist, Dave Grover (818) 889-0844 ext 120.

Hopefully, it's nothing major and just settling but a few inspections might rule out (hopefully) major issues.

Monique Carrabba
The Carrabba Group
Keller Williams Hollywood Hills
(323) 899-2900
1 vote
Scott Godzyk, Agent, Manchester, NH
Wed Feb 17, 2010
You will want to contact a structural engineer to have him inspect the property. this is beyond the scope of a regular home inspector. Once you get the engineers report, a building contractor can give you an estimate to repair or cost to cure. good luck working things out with the house.
Web Reference:
1 vote
Dan Chase, Home Buyer, Texas City, TX
Wed Feb 17, 2010
You could be looking at the wood at the bottom of the old section being rotted in that spot. Sills have been known to rot away in old houses. If so, it is a lot cheaper to fix that a moving hillside.
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more