Home Buying in Clifton>Question Details

Rick,  in 22152

There is a home on amkin ct in clifton va that has been on the market first for 1.4 last year unfinished and

Asked by Rick, 22152 Sun Aug 3, 2008

he wanted 2.3 to finish it. It stayed that way untill he finaly finished the project (he is a real estate agent) and it has sat on the market for another year now. The outside has almost no landskapping and no deck and most units at this level have that. My question is in this market and given the history and potential strain for the agent would getting this property for 1.5 be possible

Norberto Vignoli’s answer
FYI: The home is currently under contract at pretty much the asking price. Had all the landscaping and hardscaping and the decking been done, the place would probably have sold quicker and for more $$$. Oh well, live and learn. I'm glad I waited for the right buyer though. Patience is the mother of all virtues.

Norberto Vignoli
Owner / Builder - 7502 Amkin Ct., Clifton, VA
Long and Foster Realtors
(571) 237-3802
You won't know the answer to the question until you and your agent make an offer. I know that sounds simplistic but in the current Northern Virginia market it is hard to know where some sellers stand when it comes to motivation to sell. There is a good chance that this seller could be upside down on the property or they could be just fine and willing to ride out the market. I've seen sellers turn down offers and then a year later still be sitting on the property now listed below what the offer was a year ago.
Web Reference: http://cindyjoneshomes.com
Rick - there may be more going on. Does he have a CO? I've seen counties keep builders from continuing to build for various code related reasons - sometimes on another property in the county. I've seen lenders fail to give the cash so the guy can continue to work. I've seen the builders go flat broke because of both situations. He might not be able to sell for less... making an offer never hurts, but chances are he's seen low offers and rejected them.
All you can do is make an offer and find out.

I know Clifton very, very well. (I went to Clifton Elementary School many years ago. My son went there more recently.) While I haven't seen the property itself in person (though it looks very nice online), I know Amkin and the properties surrounding it.

If the situation is as you describe it, my guess is that the seller probably would be willing to accept any offer that would allow him to get out of the situation. That is, whatever he's put into it--the initial purchase, the new construction, and the carrying costs. (He bought it in 2004 for $375,000, according to the county's tax records.)

Without knowing more, it's impossible to say what he'd take, though we know (from the listing price) that it's $1,999,987, and possibly less.

That's a long way around saying what I did at the beginning: Make an offer. Give it a shot.

Don Tepper, Real Estate Pro in Burke, VA