Home Buying in Berryessa>Question Details

Bechuot, Other/Just Looking in Berryessa, San Jose,...

The bank approved for the loan to purchase a single house with converted garage, everything should up to the city Code? I checked, not the case. Why?

Asked by Bechuot, Berryessa, San Jose, CA Wed Sep 15, 2010

I have purchased a single house with a converted garage on 2008. The bank approved the loan and everything should be up to the Code right? Otherwise, the loan should not go through, but I have been living in the house for 2 years now. However, the City came and ask me to tear down the converted garage otherwise, I will be fine. Please help? I've used a realtor for the purchase. I don't know If I purchased an extended home owners policy or not. What is the extended home owners policy?

Answers

3
The loan was for the living permitted space on file with the county.

Does not mean a converted garage was built to code, if the city has come knocking you definitely have an issue.

Also what is surprising is what caused the city to come knock, clearly either a neighbor has complained, or yup have too many people living, someone or some action of yours has prompted this action.

Depending on whether you home warranty covers such permit issues. Generally, there is a warranty an agent provides that may or may not cover such issues, but it is good for only one year.

While in all your postings you harp that you used a realtor, that is great, the fact is that on the purchase agreement it clearly states that it is the owners responsibility for checking the permits. Clearly, you cannot say you did not realize the garage was converted when you bought it.

Perry
Perry
Web Reference: http://Www.ruthandperry.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 26, 2010
sometimes you just need to talk to them one on one... question them to find out if the garage was ever permitted. If t was then you may be able to merely convert it back to a garage as a worst case scenario. I don't believe the bank had a responsibility to check for code violations but I always recommend to my clients they get a "code compliance inspection" from the local authority it is just part of your due diligence when buying a property. This is an inexpensive service most cities and counties will provide for you. You can also go to the inspection department and ask for a "permit history" to find out all the permits that were taken out on the property. What year was the home and garage built. We had an issue on an older home that was converted prior to permits being required and therefore grandfathered into existence and our client didn't have to tear it down. Let us know if we may help you in any way?
Web Reference: http://www.203konline.com
Public County records should show if this was done with permits. I suggest you also contact the appraiser that did the appraisal at purchase. Why the city is knocking on your door after living there for two years is odd. ... Happy funding, Rudi
Web Reference: http://www.umboc.com