The agent we are currently with in regards to the swap will be getting full commission on our home as well as

Asked by J, Greensboro, NC Tue Jan 13, 2009

the swap home when we sell it. She told us she cannot charge commission on (buyer ) due to not being able to close on loan.
What do you think??We will not be living in the swap home.

Answers

2
Len Montgome…, Agent, High Point, NC
Tue Jan 13, 2009
Hi J,
I'm with Larry, this sounds kind of weird based on your few comments. Why would an agent get paid on selling your home but not on selling the buyers home. If title changes hands, they would be entitled to a commission. But in a swap situation where you are not coming out ahead of the curve and still have a home to sell, I would think it is you who would not pay a commission on the swap unless there is a sizable cash investment in addition to the trade. To many unknowns at this point to call this one. Since you have reached out for help and advice, even though you are under contract elsewhere, I feel comfortable offering to review this with you. You can reach me through my profile here on Trulia if you choose to. If not, ask someone for advice! Best of luck!!
Web Reference:  http://www.LenMontgomery.com
Larry Story, Agent, Greensboro, NC
Tue Jan 13, 2009
J,
Truthfully sounds a little strange to me. Of course that is just from the outside looking in. I have not seen any of the paperwork on the listing agreement you have with her or the offer from the buyer. I would really reccomend having an outside of the arrangement source take a good look at everything. So if I understand you your agent is going to be charging you (paying out of your pocket) a commission on the swap and then again when/if she sells the other home?? I would say no. You really need to go to an outside source with all the paperwork to get another opinion. A real estate attorney not associated with the present agents or even a broker. We ethically cannot approach you since you have a contract with a NC licensed agent. However you can approach whomever you want to get answers as long as you make the first contact.

Hope this helps,
Web Reference:  http://www.storybookhomes.ws