Thank you for all the answers. My friend is actually doing a lot of work to get me better financing using

Asked by Jennifer, Fri Jan 25, 2008

her & her father's contacts. The Real Estate Agent I have now really hasn't done more than take me to see the homes.

Answers

3
Liz Stevens, , Berkeley, CA
Fri Jan 25, 2008
The custom about using agents to write offers if they showed properties to you is just that, "a custom". It is not a law or a rule, however, the expectation of many agents is wrong. Without a contract, a buyer is under no obligation to use the agent to write the offer. Your question points out the importance of explaining to buyers how the process works, and how the agent gets paid. Had that been explained to you, you may have made a decision easier for yourself. All the best to you, Jennifer. Liz
Jennifer, Home Buyer,
Fri Jan 25, 2008
Thank you for telling me how to reply :) I knew this was not fair to the agent but wasn't sure how to handle it. I will get advise from my friend on how to write the offer and then have the agent write and present it for me.
Dot Chance, Agent, Burbank, CA
Fri Jan 25, 2008
There is so much more that goes into preparing to show a client homes. You need to be honest with your agent so that he/she does not waste more time with you. Your friend and her father (if they realize what you are doing) are not living up to the Code of Ethics set out for Realtors. I'm sure your present agent will file a grievance against them if they are the ones that write the offer and collect the commission.