Taxes? Idaho or Washington?

Asked by Synthia Makarov, Spokane, WA Mon Feb 18, 2013

I was wondering if someone could explain to me the tax difference between Idaho and Washington. We currently are renting in Washington and we want to move to Idaho, but a friend of ours told us that Idaho has a state tax. I do not understand what this means.

Answers

4
Ronda Deakins, Agent, Spokane, WA
Mon Feb 18, 2013
Synthia,
Every individual State varies according to the taxes that it levies on it's residents. Idaho has a state income tax as well as the federal income tax. Washington has no state income tax or taxes on groceries either, but we have a higher gas tax than Idaho. What you need to look at is how the taxes that are collected affect your quality of life. If you work in Idaho you will pay income taxes for that state even if you live in Washington. I think that some of our tax dollars do serve the residents better in WA. especially when you look at the quality of the public schools. Teachers are paid a higher wage in Washington so that may result in better teachers. Higher gas tax is supposed to be for better roads, though some would say that is debatable in some areas. Idaho is a "right to work state" and typically pays lower wages to it's workers because of that. If you plan to purchase a home in Idaho you should also look at the property taxes that every homeowner pays. Both States have their pros and cons... decide which State best serves your needs. Lots to think about.
Dan Tabit, Agent, Issaquah, WA
Mon Feb 18, 2013
Synthia,
Live in Washington, shop in Idaho.
mtkeller36, , 99223
Mon Feb 18, 2013
Idaho is the winner of taxes especially income taxes
Cindy Lee, Other Pro, Spokane, WA
Mon Feb 18, 2013
There is state income tax in Idaho that Washington does not have.