THERE'S A RUMOR IN THE VILLAGE OF FREEPORT THAT HOMEOWNERS WITHOUT SCHOOL CHILDREN ATTENDING THE VILLAGE SCHOOLS ARE EXCEMPT FROM PAYING SCHOOL

Asked by rod241952, Freeport, NY Thu Oct 4, 2012

TAXES.

Answers

6
Anna M Brocco, Agent, Williston Park, NY
Thu Oct 4, 2012
Don't rely on rumors, check with the village--they are the only ones who can provide accurate information...
Christina Na…, Agent, Freeport, NY
Wed Nov 28, 2012
I doubt that! When you live in a community, ALL residents that own a home/property are required to pay school taxes. If we had a hospital we'd be paying toward that, etc. For example, you may not have a recreation card but you can be sure that some of your taxes go to that facility as well.
Lydia Green, Agent, East Meadow, NY
Tue Nov 27, 2012
If only that were true. By that same reasoning, people who do not drive cars would not have to pay taxes for road repairs and people who are not victims of crimes would not have to pay for the police. We all share the tax burden for the common good. Some of us benefit from school taxes, others benefit from highway taxes, etc.

If you already own a home, there are many ways to reduce your tax bill such as a Veteran's exemption, the STAR exemption, a senior exemption, as well as filing a grievance if the assessment is too high. If you are considering purchasing a home I would be happy to try to help you find one where the taxes are within your budget. Contact me at 516-410-3000 and I will be happy to provide forms or any other information that may be helpful to you.
Janet Nation,…, Agent, Baldwin, NY
Sun Oct 7, 2012
Really then we should all move to Freeport :-)
De Vonte Wil…, Agent, East Point, GA
Thu Oct 4, 2012
You should not believe these rumors. I do not believe this is an accurate statement, as I myself was a previous resident of Freeport. Rumors are just that, rumors. You should check with the village. You can give them a call and they should be able to answer your questions directly. See the link below for their website.

Additionally, you may have gotten this mixed up with the STAR exemption. “STAR” is an acronym for the New York State’s School Tax Relief program. It includes a school property tax rebate and a partial property exemption from school taxes.

Again, you should give the village a call.

I hope this answered your question! If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact me by the ways below.

Wishing you the best of luck,

De Vonte Williamson
Licensed Real Estate Salesperson
Proudly Serving Long Island
Coldwell Banker Residential
Direct:(631)638-6193
Mobile: (631)384-3695
cbmoves.com/DeVonte.Williamson
"I Stand Behind Getting You Results!

Link:

http://www.freeportny.com/index.aspx?NID=64
Alan May, Agent, Evanston, IL
Thu Oct 4, 2012
I don't know, for sure, as i don't live in the region... but it sounds like just that... a rumour.