Survey from the seller

Asked by Ms, USA, Mobile, AL Thu Jun 28, 2012

I am in the process of buying a home in New Jersey. The seller in the deal is a relocation company and th is not willing to give me the Survey report. Is this not mandatory in New Jersey for the seller to provide the existing survey report to the buyer? Is the rule different when the seller is a relocation company?

Answers

2
Andrew Chang, Agent, Hillsborough, NJ
Fri Apr 11, 2014
This is not uncommon. A friend of mine was interested in a nice house with 36 acres farm land. Agent provided a 8x11 copy of the survey map, but would not provide the full survey map. My friend made an offer, but the agent still refused to deliver a copy of the survey. This is a 36 acres of land, with all the easements etc. And the survey does not even cost much. So he was not very happy and the house still in the market. He still does not understand why.

Anyway, ask your own realtor to see if he/she can contact the survey company and get a copy.
Lee Ann Mela…, Agent, Bridgewater, NJ
Wed Jan 9, 2013
Ms,
The relocation company is not the owner. They don't have much. All they have is info from the listing agent and some verbal info from the owner.
There is no law that states that a survey be given. If a seller has a survey, it is up to the seller to share it.
I always recommend my clients make a trip to the town municiple office and check the taxes, permits etc. You can contact the town and see if they have one on file for the property and also get a tax map of the property. Do this in person.
Hope this helps.
Lee Ann Melancon, Broker/Sales Associate
Your 2012 Five Star Award Winning Agent