Survey from seller was dated Sep 2011. Per lawyer, it's not the type for title and has to be updated. Should I update or get new a one?

Asked by Nptime, Hicksville, NY Sun Feb 26, 2012

I am not aware of any change of acreage (but only comparing the old survey with info on trulia and zillow and http://www.nassaucountyny.gov/mynassauproperty).

How much does it cost to get a new survey?

Thank you!

Answers

7
Gail Gladsto…, Agent, 11743, NY
Mon Feb 27, 2012
Surveys, to the best of my knowledge, are acquired by the buyer if they are needed.

If the Seller happens to have one already, it is really nice to offer it to the buyer for their use.
Anna M Brocco, Agent, Williston Park, NY
Mon Feb 27, 2012
If your attorney is advising you to acquire a new survey, it's really in your best interest to listen; survey costs will vary depending on the size of the property, improvements, etc.; to get a new survey, or have the current updated is up to you, however an updated version will less costly...
Barbara E. N…, Agent, Oceanside, NY
Mon Feb 27, 2012

Your lender will require to have a recent survey, but since the sellers survey is dated Sept. 2011, I would find out from your lender if that survey will suffice since it has been only about 5 months.
The cost of a survey depends on several variables, the size of the property, the type of the property, the number in size improvements and the terrain of the property. To have the survey re-certify, it will much less expensive than having a new survey done.

Barbara E. Nowak
Web Reference:  http://www.BarbaraNowak.com.
Christopher…, Agent, Tarrytown, NY
Mon Feb 27, 2012
Don't go by the info you find on these sites (you can't depend on the accuracy)..go by what the town has. In Westchester the new survey usually costs aound $1,000.

Chris
Mike Sullivan, Agent, Gainesville, FL
Mon Feb 27, 2012
Your lender will require the survey to be re-certified. The actual cost will vary depending on the size of the lot, and prevailing rates in your area. A re-certification is less $ than if done completely again (the surveyor does less work). It assures you no fences or other improvements were done to the lot since the date of the initial survey.....expect about $300-$400

Congratulations on your new purchase!
Joan Congilo…, Agent, Freehold, NJ
Mon Feb 27, 2012
If you are spending the money to buy a home which will be one of your most valuable assets , do it right and pay for a new survey or have the survey recertified to make sure it is accuarate.
Web Reference:  http://www.joancongilose.com
Suzanne MacD…, Agent, Morristown, NJ
Mon Feb 27, 2012
You will save money if you have it re-certified (updated) and the surveyor will be responsible to make sure nothing has changed. It's a good way to save on closing costs. A survey can be recertified as long as it is less than 10 years old. I do it all the time, in fact, I always check the date on the survey because I know it will save my clients some cash.