Stolen appliances from short sale before closing.

Asked by Joel, Ceres, CA Sun Dec 9, 2012

I recently just purchased a short sale that had appliances in the home. A few days before closing they were all stolen. I noticed they were gone when i received the keys the night it closed. I have been told that i have to cut my loses and purchase new appliances, but i have also heard that the bank has to have some sort of insurance on the property. Considering i signed the contract and it included the appliances can the bank be held responsible to reimburse me for the appliances i had to purchase, or am i out of luck?

Answers

3
Steven Ornel…, Agent, Fremont, CA
Sun Dec 9, 2012
Hi Joel,

I would file a report with the Local police (so they are aware of what took place in the area YOU will be living in); you really should formally establish what occurred and all of the things stolen. You will want this when you approach the Seller, and as Sheryl suggests, seek compensation from any existing Homeowners or insurance policy that might have been in place or the Sellers themselves.

This may or may not be worth your time; it really depends on what the age/condition of the appliances were and how much you value your time.

-Steve
Diane Mcauley, Agent, CA,
Sun Dec 9, 2012
Good question. Sorry to say . did you do a final walk-thru and was all the appliance still in the house? If yes and then you got the keys and went to the house and the appliances were missing, yes sorry the bank is not responsible. If your agent would like to help you out with possible a gift card to appliance store, depending on what kind of comission she received, would possible help. I have done that before. Everone is different. Sorry for the loss, . Good luck.
Steven Ornel…, Agent, Fremont, CA
Sun Dec 9, 2012
Hi Joel,

How do you know when they were stolen?

Did you report the event to the Police?

Might the Sellers have mistakenly taken them?

-Steve
I didnt report the event to the police because i was told by my agent that there was nothing i could do. I have proof in all my inspections( FHA and personal) that the appliances were in the house.
Flag Sun Dec 9, 2012
My loan was a FHA loan and the bank and home owners said they wouldn't fix anything before the inspections. So, i told them i would and during the first 10 days of escrow i was given access to the house to fix the pool and other no fha compliant issues. All the appliances were in the house at that point and the home owners have been out of the house for 9 months by this point. The bank had the locks on the house changed about 6 months ago so the owners had no access to the house.
Flag Sun Dec 9, 2012