Some homes are listed as having a rural water supply. What does this mean?

Asked by Johni, New Jersey Mon Jun 25, 2007

Answers

8
Michelle DeM…, Agent, Bullhead City, AZ
Tue Jul 10, 2007
Specifically, in Golden Valley, a rural water supply comes from either the Golden Valley Improvement District or from the Valley Pioneer Water Co. Not all properties in the GVID are connected to water or will be in the near future! Each lot is individually hooked up and some areas are miles away from being able to get water. The number of available connections is also a factor, as they are getting very limited.
Robert Kroon, Agent, Phoenix, AZ
Mon Jul 9, 2007
In many of our Arizona rural areas private companies are formed to provide water, particularly in un-incorporated areas. This typically will work out for the user much as it would if there was a local government agency, such as a city, providing the service.

Usually when the area incorporates into, say a city, or is absorbed by a growing city, the local water company assets ( facilities ) are purchased by the city.

We see this quite often in rapidly growing areas.

Or, it may mean as previous answers state, a well or possibly a spring.......when you are really out in the boonies.

If you are purchasing land in outlying areas various govenment agencies require that information about the water supply be disclosed to the would be purchaser. Always ask for a disclosure. It should be forthcoming from the seller. If not, think long and hard before purchasing !!
Kris Salhus, , 56258
Mon Jun 25, 2007
Rural water is supplied in rural areas and
in SW MN where I'm at it costs about $11,000.00 to hook up to the system. Make
sure you find out what the assessment is on the property tax bill.
Jennifer Chi…, Agent, Omaha, NE
Wed Nov 27, 2013
Means the property most likely has a well, since the city does not supply water to the property.
Steve Etheri…, , Bullhead City, AZ
Fri Nov 30, 2007
I have numerous listings and sales in Golden Valley. This valley between Bullhead City and Kingman is progressing and I believe is a golden nugget. This area has continuing new build by private home owners and Rhoades development has a three thousand home subdivision planned community with ground broke and model homes up. Water options: hook in to one of the two water companies if available to your property, drill a well and water haul. Water haul means that water trucks come and fill up your tank. Hwy 68, I 40 and route 66 surround Golden Valley. Knowledge of the area is essential for best buying opportunities.
J Lo, Home Buyer, California Glory, Brentwood, CA
Tue Jul 10, 2007
If your rural water supply does flow from a well - you should note that well water does tend to be hard - and you might consider a water treatment filter. Many municipalities will also test your water for you for things like bacteria - etc.

Furthermore, it would behoove you to read up on what you should do if you have well water. NSF is a public safety group - they have great information and this link will expound on the need for testing, etc.

http://www.nsf.org/consumer/drinking_water/dw_well.asp?progr…

Hope this helps.
Nate Oskar, , 86336
Tue Jun 26, 2007
Joyce was absolutely correct with the first answer. My broker just humorously added that the alternative is a bucket in the creek.

In all seriousness though, we see a substantial amount of wells here in Northern Arizona. The most important factor is that you need to ensure that you have a properly registered well.

I have found that if the water supplied by the well is of quality most people actually prefer it. In fact, my home is supplied through well water and after many of years of fearing tap water I find it wonderful to have great tasting water at my fingertips!

Best of luck in your search, Johni.

-Nate
Joyce Guidroz, , CITY BUSINESS TOP REAL ESTATE PRODUCER! AMONG THE TOP 30%!
Mon Jun 25, 2007
This means that they do not have city water supplied. More than likely it is a well.