Home Buying in Durango>Question Details

Katymiddleton, Home Buyer in Durango, CO

So many listings do not state whether a property has irrigation or not. Are irrigated properties difficult to find in higher elevation?

Asked by Katymiddleton, Durango, CO Sat Aug 4, 2012

Answers

4
Colorado shouldn't be too difficult to find a home with irrigation. I used to live there and in my neighborhood, we all had irrigation. During the summer, water is more sparse but the city makes ways to cope with it.

Will Jenkins | http://www.dwestenterprises.com/irrigation.html
Water is a really big subject in Colorado, and very, very complicated!

As the headwaters state for the country, Colorado supplies 19 states with water...things change every year, but water rights go way, way back. The average elevation in Colorado is 3350 miles high! So we are already pretty high up. But we are blessed with lots of water! Irrigation is very important around here, especially with farms and ranches. Irrigated properties are most certainly out there. You need to be sure to contact someone, like me who knows a bit about it before you go to buy an irrigated piece of property. Here, if you don't use your rights, you lose them! Also, if your "senior rights" are less senior than the guy downstream, you may not get what you thought you were going to get.

In essence, your "Senior Rights" may yield you one week's of watering your rose bush! And it also depends where the water is coming from. Certain drier areas, or water critical areas, while you may have the rights to the water, in drought times, your Senior Rights may give you a teaspoon of water for your field.

Just make sure you find the right agent who knows, or who knows the right people who knows.
Hi, I think it depends on the area too. I live currently in the San Luis Valley, which is east over the mountains from durango. And higher in altitude by a good 1000+ feet. Here, irrigation is common as we have a water system that w,as set up in the 1500s and I think many properties for sale will state if they have irrigation or not as it is a big selling point. The largest town within the valley is Alamosa, if you need a place to start your search. I live in Antonito, myself, which is about 30 miles south of alamosa.
Great question. You're probably on target with your guess that they're difficult to find at higher elevation. There is, though, a way to get better than a guess.

We're always happy to answer questions. The Realtors in Durango will do that, too.

A Realtor can help you save time. Did you know that you don't pay the buyer agent's commission. The seller does that.

Call a Realtor today and save yourself time with having the agent research homes where you want to buy.

Suz