Single family homes near Mountain View

Asked by Hkvgun, 94043 Tue Dec 9, 2008

I work in mountain view (94043) and would like to buy a single family home (3 /2 ) after March 2009. I am trying to limit the price to under 700K and commute time to under 20 minutes. The neighborhood should be safe and have growth potential (at least should keep home value). School is not an issue as we don't have kids yet. Please suggest the city/neighborhoods and also when should I start talking to realtors/banks.

Answers

8
David Blockh…, Agent, Los Altos, CA
Fri Dec 12, 2008
Hkvgun,

I would look to West San Jose and Campbell within the Moreland School district. Although schools aren't important to you as a buyer, the are important for resale purposes. Check around Baker elementary in Campbell. There is a home on Calado Court that is a great buy (650ish). The drive down highway 85 to mountain view is within your commute time.

These neighborhoods offer good schools (resale), moderate commute times to mountain view and represent a solid value. I bought my first home in the west san jose neighborhood of strawberry Park (280 and Saratoga Ave.) and found it an easy commute to downtown Los Altos.
Web Reference:  http://www.losaltoshomes.com
Terri Vellios, Agent, Campbell, CA
Thu Dec 11, 2008
You should talk to realtors now. Go to open houses, ask friends, and select the realtor you feel is going to represent your best interest and goals. If you do not have a working relationship with a mortgage broker/bank, the realtor you select can assist you as they have a team of professionals to assist you. Once you do that the rest of your questions will be answered.

On my website I have a list for Buyers to consider when purchasing. Also, you can search for homes on your own or sign up for no obligation searches.

Best of Luck to you.
Web Reference:  http://www.terrivellios.com
Erica Glessi…, Agent, San Jose, CA
Thu Dec 11, 2008
The market is so interesting right now. I was not able to find a ton of inventory for you, but I do have a few specific neighborhoods that have listings that match your parameters.

There are a handful of Mountain View 94043 homes, I am not sure if you like the area, the streets that have active listings in your price range are Rock, Leong, San Ardo and Morgan Court. Of these, the home on Morgan Court appears the "safest" feeling considering how close the whole area is to the freeway.

I really like Sunnyvale 94086, this is the area near Lawrence and El Camino surrounding Ponderosa Elementary. There is a very lovely home on Roble Drive for sale right now. There is another home on Planetree that has been reduced a number of times and just hit $750K, also in 94086. It is still over your focused number but it is getting closer.

In the slightly more desirable 94087 area of Sunnyvale (not too far from 85, not too far from your work) there is one home on Lynn at $699K but it is slightly odd - it has two bedrooms in the main portion of the home and then a granny unit upstairs and outside for the three/two combo. That is the only one I could find in 94087/Cherry Chase in your price range.

If you would like help in your search, I moved to Santa Clara County in 1968 and know most of the streets in the areas around Mountain View and Sunnyvale (and Los Altos). I live in San Jose now, I love North Valley and Milpitas. If you want to extend your commute to Milpitas, you can live in a wonderful community and get a lot of home (and many choices) for the money, plus good schools. But you can't guarantee 20 minutes. Sometimes it might be 15, other times 45.

Cheers,

Erica

Erica Nelson Estates
http://www.ConnectRealty.com/EricaNelson
408-416-7090
Marcy Moyer, Agent, Palo Alto, CA
Wed Dec 10, 2008
Hkvgun,
Congratulations on your home search! This is a great time to buy, at at 700K you should still be able to get a conforming loan which will have a much better interest rate than a jumbo loan.

As far as neighborhoods go, the best neighborhood for this price range in Mountain View would be Rex Manor for a single family home. If you want to go to a townhome there are actually a number of new townhome communities in Mountain View and Sunnyvale that are in this price range. If you go to Sunnyvale, there are many homes in Lakewood Village, but that neighborhood has been pretty hard hit by foreclosures, which can be good or bad, depending on what your goals are. I would recomend trying to buy closer to downtown Sunnyvale, where you can find a lot of homes under 700K and this is a growing area with a vibrant downtown and a huge high end renovation of Sunnyvale's Town Centre Mall.

I have sold many homes in Mountain View and Sunnyvale, and would be happy to answer any other question you may have about these neighborhoods.

Marcy Moyer
marcy@marcymoyer.com
http://www.marcymoyer.com
Web Reference:  http://www.marcymoyer.com
Arn Cenedella, Agent, Greenville, SC
Tue Dec 9, 2008
Hkvgun

You are going to have a fair number of options in that price range.
You can find a very nice townhouse or an entry level home in a decent neighborhood.
The home will probably need some updating if the area is good.

Cherry Chase is a good entry level neighborhood in Sunnyvale though you might not be able to get a 3/2 in that neighborhood.

I would get started on the pre-approval process. Guidelines are constantly changing.
I can suggest several good lenders - Wells and BofA are good places to start - plus maybe one loan broker.

I have been helping people buy homes for over 30 years and I know the entry level price range well.

I would be glad to sit down with you and learn what is most important to you.

Arn Cenedella
650 566-5329
Tony Abad, Agent, El Cajon, CA
Tue Dec 9, 2008
Hkvgun,

Both Vicky and Glen are right about this. Personally, I would contact your bank and start there. It would be horrible to find a great place and find out for one reason or another, you are short of funds. I work with different banks so if you bank with BofA or Wells or somewhere else, I can point you in the right direction.

Once you have an idea of what is needed through the pre-qual process, than work with someone you trust as an agent. Prehaps someone you find in here or through a friend.

I know an expert in the south bay if you are interested in an agent as well.

I hope this helps?

Tony Abad

My contact info if you need a loan person or agent 925/325-9546 or TAofSF@yahoo.com
Vicky Le, Agent, Cupertino, CA
Tue Dec 9, 2008
Like what Glen said below, it's never too early to start looking. You might want to do a quick credit check to make sure other people's credit are not mixed up with yours. This happens quite often especially if your name is common or have similar SSN. If this happens, you can fix your credit but it takes time to do. It's always best to be ahead of the game.

In this current market, $700k can get you a nice 3bd townhome in Mtn. View. You should also consider Sunnyvale, Cupetino, and Santa Clara. The major resale factors to consider when buying a home are: condition of neighboring homes, close to shopping plaza, schools, and close to major corporate companies. Keep these in mind when buying your home, but in the meantime start looking to get an idea of what's out there.

I'd be happy to sit down with you to discuss your buying options when you're ready.

Vicky Le, Realtor
Intero Real Estate
Office: 408.342.3985
Email: vle@interorealestate.com
Glen Mitchell, Agent, Half Moon Bay, CA
Tue Dec 9, 2008
It's never too early to start planning and talking to realtors and lenders. Loan guidelines can change, but a good lender can keep you updated on any changes that might affect you. You can also start watching new listings to get an idea how quickly they sell, how much over or under asking, and get a feel for what it will take when you are ready. I have a free email service you are welcome to try out. It sends out new listings that match your search criteria. You can sign off at any time. Let me know if you want to try it.

PS school is always an issue even if you never have children or are past kid age. When it comes time to sell it will affect values and the time it takes you to resell. Always a good idea to consider which areas are better in terms of schools.

Glen
glenmitchell@remax.net
Web Reference:  http://www.maui4rent.com