Should we buy 5 yr old home in 4s Ranch or brand new in San Elijo. I work in Mission Valley, wondering if the commute will drive me crazy, thoughts??

Asked by Shellyy, 92127 Fri Jul 20, 2012

Answers

12
David Rudd / Kindred RE’s answer
David Rudd /…, Agent, San Diego, CA
Sat Feb 16, 2013
Hi Shellyy -

I personally LOVE both of these communities. But unless you LOVE driving and traffic, you are better off in 4S Ranch. You are looking at over 1 hr commute each way, assuming peak drive times. The difference per year will be approximately 240 hours or about 4 weeks added for commuting. Live closer and use the 4 weeks to go on vacation, spend time with family and live!
, ,
Thu May 1, 2014
You can't go wrong, any homes built within the last 5 years won't have the issues of an older home. I can help you find a good realtor and help you personally with securing a mortgage.

For mortgage help, call (855) 893-1177 or email for a free pre-approval in less than 10 minutes. We lend our own money and are licensed in 49 states and you can apply online at http://www.myccmortgage.com. We can do: FHA, Conventional, USDA, VA, HARP, Interest Only, Home Equity, Fixed, and Variable. Find out which product is right for you by calling Brad at (855) 893-1177.

Brad Neumann
Branch Manager
Crosscountry Mortgage Inc.
Phone: (855) 893-1177
Email: bneumann@myccmortgage.com
NMLS# 948036
Chad Basinger, Agent, San Diego, CA
Tue Apr 29, 2014
Hello Shellyy,

I believe the fact that you are taking the time to write this question already lets me know that you are concerned about the commute. I live by the mantra that if it bothers you today, it will most likely really bother you in future. As I'd recommend to anybody buying a house, do a trial run of your commute at various times of the day to know exactly what you are up against. If you are always in your car, it won't matter if you have a new home!!!

4S Ranch is a fabulous neighborhood with tons of upside. It will not disappoint.

Best of luck with whatever you decide!

Chad Basinger, REALTOR, CPA, CFP
chad@chadbasinger.com
858-997-3704
Web Reference:  http://www.chadbasinger.com
David Inderm…, Agent, San Diego, CA
Thu Mar 20, 2014
Shelly,

That all depends if you do not mind driving further to work in exchange for a brand new home in San Elijo.

Myself personally am not a fan of rush hour traffic, but that is just me. Just write down on a legal pad of paper the pros and cons and you should be able to weigh them that way too.

Best Wishes,

David R. Indermill

Re/Max Hall Of Fame, CDPE | Since 1998 | Luxury Real Estate Advisor
International Referrals | Bank Owned Assets | Off Market Properties
Large Cash Investor Fast Close Network | B.R.E License # 01232827

http://www.SanDiegoHomeStore.Com

Cell: 858-414-LIST (5478) Texting OK
Fax: 858-430-5544
Email: david@sandiegohomestore.com
Nancy Bergman, Agent, San Diego, CA
Wed Mar 19, 2014
Depending if you don't mind driving or sitting in traffic. Both areas are nice and have their pros and cons.

Nancy S Bergman
Realtor - Cal BRE #01893550
Keller William- Carmel Valley
Email - nbergman1@live.com
website - http://www.sandiegohomesbynancy.com
Darryl Yee, Agent, San Diego, CA
Tue Mar 18, 2014
I know this is an old thread, but I thought I would post here to help anyone else who stumbles onto it.

I would recommend 4S Ranch (I live there myself), but you can certainly make San Elijo work. You can buy a FastPass which will let you use that commuter lane to cut through most of the traffic going both directions. The time you save each day is well worth the couple dollars to use it. For instance, if you make $20/hr and you spend just 10 minutes crawling through a rough spot of traffic, that will cost you $3 of your time plus wasted gas. They have also been working on expanding highway 78.
Kimberly Dot…, , San Diego, CA
Mon Jan 6, 2014
Shelly, I think you're better off in 4S Ranch. That area took an incredible hit during the recession and hasn't fully recovered (in my opinion) so please make sure you're getting a home that has been well maintained -- no recession era short cuts on maintenance -- and don't over pay!
, ,
Sun Jan 5, 2014
This comes to personal preference and you will only know best.

For mortgage help, call (630) 639-1081 or email for a free pre-approval in less than 10 minutes. We lend our own money and are licensed in 49 states and you can apply online at http://www.myccmtg.com.

We can do: FHA, Conventional, USDA, VA, HARP, Interest Only, Home Equity, Fixed, and Variable. Find out which product is right for you by calling Brad at (630) 639-1081.

Brad Neumann
Sr. Loan Officer
Crosscountry Mortgage Inc.
Phone: (630) 639-1081
Email: bneumann@myccmortgage.com
NMLS# 948036
Brook Di Don…, , San Diego, CA
Fri Nov 15, 2013
By the Ranch ! several reason to not buy in San Elijo!
Janet McCart…, Agent, San Diego, CA
Sun Aug 19, 2012
Hi Shelly,
I would suggest that you make a few trial drives in order to truly understand the commute. On a good day you won't be too troubled , but on a bad day you will be sitting in traffic for a long time. 4S Ranch shaves approx. 30 mintues off the distance, however the home will be smaller than in San Elijo Hills.
If you really want to avoid any traffic issues than you need to start work early - 5 or 6 am and leave work around 3 or 4, otherwise you will get caught in traffic, especially on Friday. Another factor is the rising cost of gasoline which will add to your monthly expenses and probably will not be going down.
Janet McCarthy
Connect Realty
jmccarthyhomes@gmail.com
858-243-5719
MaryAnn Morr…, Agent, San Diego, CA
Thu Aug 2, 2012
It may sound crazy but I always recommend driving the commute both ways before your buy. Get up early and start off in the one neighborhood and then the next day drive from the other. Do the round trip commute. Then decide what works best for you.

MaryAnn
Cindy Davis, Agent, San Diego, CA
Sat Jul 21, 2012
Interesting question...How important is buying a brand new home to you? Although both communities are lovely, I am partial to 4s Ranch. It is in the Poway School District which is one of the top school districts in our county. If you have kids, 4S is a clear winner. I also think 4S Ranch has more infrastructure around it...shops, restaurants, libraries, etc.

You have a commute either way...but I suspect 4S Ranch is a bit closer than the one from San Elijo.

Please give me a call if you would like a tour of the neighborhoods Shellyy - I know both communities extremely well -!

Take care!