Should i mention to the seller about the other house that I'm looking at?

Asked by Susan, Philadelphia, PA Mon Apr 27, 2009

We have two house to choose they are both the same price and location......and I'm trying to get a good deal with the bargain should i mention to the seller about the other homes?? Thanks

Answers

4
The Luxe Life…, , Atlanta, GA
Mon Apr 27, 2009
Are you represented by an agent? Why would the seller need to know that you're interested in another house if it's not their house? Ultimately it's about which house you want the most. Otherwise there's no need to inform the seller that you're interested in another home. What are you hoping to gain? It sounds like you are dealing with the seller on your own which in this case I don't recommend sharing that info unless you are putting in an offer. If an agent is presenting an offer through on your behalf, they might mention the other house if it is comparable to theirs, especially if it has better features or amenities.
Heather Mori…, Agent, Allentown, PA
Tue Apr 28, 2009
Hello Susan:

I certainly do hope you are working with a Buyers Agent and I am going to assume you are. I always tell my client's to be honest and upfront. Yes, you should tell the seller that they have competition and be honest why you are having a problem deciding. There must be some kind of difference between them but if you love both of them equally then...I would have your Agent run some comps...which will tell you what the other homes have sold for like the home you are interested in and find out the current market value and make an offer just a bit lower than that if you do not have any other on the table from other interested buyers. If it is all about price than you need to make sure the price you want the home for is reasonable with what the home is worth. It also depends on the current situation of the seller too. But, in most cases the seller will get reasonable market value for their home.

SO, My Vote is yes. Be Honest and Upfront. If the seller needs to sell and they know you are looking at the home down the street and they should know what home you are talking about if their seller agent is providing them with this information. Their negotiations may be effected knowing you are looking at a 2nd home and you have not decided that their home is the home of your dreams.

I hope this helps you.
Susan, , Philadelphia, PA
Mon Apr 27, 2009
I should let my agent know about the two house that i like and let her the the bargain let the best price win...
Bill Eckler, Agent, Venice, FL
Mon Apr 27, 2009
From a buyers perspective, this is good leverage to help determine the seller's level of motivation and possibly save money in the purchase of the home.

Buyers often do an extensive search and identify multiple homes of interest, rank them in terms of priority before proceeding through their list presenting offers at theri established price level. Some feel this is beneficial to the buyer to be up front and open with their intentions to move quickly to secondary options.

Your agent would be able to best advise you