Minal, Home Buyer in 01752

Should I buy property with elementary school in backyard?

Asked by Minal, 01752 Wed Sep 30, 2009

Should I buy house on cul-de-sac but that has an elementary school right behind the lot?

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&source=hp&q=5 gordon rd, natick, ma&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=5 Gordon Rd, Natick, MA 01760&gl=us&ei=WSLESt_9Damy8Qa84pGUBQ&sa=X&oi=geocode_result&ct=image&resnum=1&ved=0CA0Q8gEwAA

Answers

10
Jerry Barker, Agent, Atlantic City, NJ
Mon Jan 11, 2010
I have an elementry school in my back yard and I loved it. My kids went to the school which made it really convienient. They also got to use all the ball fields and the playgrounds when ever school was out and on the weekends. As far as the noise, I worked during the day when school was in session. On days when I was off and the weather was nice you could hear the kids playing outside in the afternoon but only if you had the windows open.
Heidi Zizza, Agent, Framingham, MA
Mon Jan 11, 2010
Actually in my opinion that would be a nice neighbor. only there until 2 or 3 pm in the afternoon, a park area in your back yard, a neighbor who is never loud at night. If you have kids they could walk to the school as well. I once lived behind a municipal building and it was a real treat.
Web Reference:  http://www.mdmrealtyinc.com
Territory.c…, Agent, MA,
Thu Oct 1, 2009
It might affect future sales and decrease the value but at the right price the home still might be a great investment.
Kathleen Hel…, Agent, Framingham, MA
Thu Oct 1, 2009
Good Morning! I am in total agreement with Greer from Newton who suggested an early morning or afternoon visit to the property to guage the sound levels and car & foot traffic in the surrounding area. One of the nice aspects is that while adjacent to the school, the prospective home is on a cul-de-sac and not on the entry road into the school itself. The entry to the school is off of East Evergreen. The properties on Gordon Road back up to the teacher parking lot area and the baseball field. You should check to see if there are many town league baseball and softball games scheduled there on the weekends in case that would be an issue. Overall that neighborhood is very well thought of and allows access to Route 27 & Route 9 within minutes (this being said - the neighborhood is also used to cut through to Wethersfield Rd & Rt. 9 beyond the traffic of Rt. 27). If the property is priced well enough to offset these minor issues - then it should not be a hinderance. Good luck in your home search. Kathy Helliwell
Web Reference:  http://www.hammondre.com
Greer Swiston, Agent, Newton, MA
Thu Oct 1, 2009
As Patrick and Sean said, it's a matter of preference. From what I can tell, the property buts up against the parking lot.

I knew an older couple who lived next to our elementary school. They lived right next to the kindergarten playground. For the most part, they enjoyed the sounds of youth and laughter in their yard because they said it kept them young. They did have a bad experience with a teacher once who had an attitude, but they were friendly with the Principal and that a conversation with the teacher relieved the tension. They told me their children grew up in that house and enjoyed getting to roll out of bed and getting to school within five minutes of the bell!

If you really like the house and can afford the time ... it may be worth going there at around 7A and hanging out until 9A ... to see there is anything disturbing? And if you didn't want to stay all day, you might consider going back between from about 2:45 to 3:45 to experience the after school traffic ... I'd guess that the parking lot would be pretty quiet during the day.

Best of luck and please let me know if you wish to work with a Realtor! I'm in Natick a lot.
Web Reference:  http://www.commonmoves.com
Christine No…, Agent, Wellesley, MA
Wed Jan 13, 2010
Why wouldn't you buy a home near an elementary school. I have sold a few like this and my clients say it has worked out great. It's is quiet after 3:30, weekends no one is home, spring break it is quiet. AND - you have an awesome playground for the kids to play anytime. I have not seen any repercussions from a price perspective with my clients who have purchased in front and behind the elementary school.
Susan Costa, , Westport, MA
Thu Oct 1, 2009
Minal

I have property with an elimentry school in my backyard. It does get a little noise early m before school starts and recess is always noisey --- but the neighborhood is safe and once school lets out, our evenings and weekends are great.

If I can be of assistance, please give me a call or email.

Susan
Grace Morioka, Agent, San Jose, CA
Thu Oct 1, 2009
Hello Minal and thanks for your post.

Having lived right next to a school during my teen years, I have to say that the experience was fairly loud and constant from 30 minutes before the school started to hours after the school ended. While you might think that the sound problems end on Friday, the truth is that most schools allow fields and facilities to be used during evenings and weekends, so there is often no break from the sound or activities at the school until evening descends. I will preface this by saying that I live in California where the weather is seldom colder than 40 degrees and we never get anything more disagreeable than a drenching downpour for a few days, so children here have far more opportunities than those on the East Coast to play (and make noise) outside.

At first, I'll admit that I wondered how my parents could buy this poorly located, noisy home--of course, I realize now that they could afford the home precisely because it was located so close to the school--but after about a year, I grew so accustomed to the sound that I did not even hear it. Today, I'm pretty "deaf" to sounds of traffic and trains and kids and planes, so, short of an earthquake, I'm as likely to sleep through loud outside noises without problems. However, not everyone is willing to make such compromises, so before you choose to purchase a home near an elementary school, its a good idea to spend a few hours at the home observing traffic patterns and listening to the sounds of the kids lining up in the morning, the recess in mid-afternoon, and the soccer matches on the weekend. This is the most effective way to determine if sounds within and without the home will negatively impact your lifestyle and enjoyment of the property.

Good luck!!

Grace Morioka, SRES, e-Pro
Area Pro Realty
San Jose, CA
Sean Dawes, , Philadelphia, PA
Wed Sep 30, 2009
I agree with Patrick's comment as it is a matter of preference. When located near any type of communal building you have to take into consideration noise and traffic as some cons. If they have sports fields there you might have a lot of traffic added in your area or noise from the games which could bother someone who wants a quite outdoor space.
Patrick Thies, Agent, Anytown, IL
Wed Sep 30, 2009
That's a matter of preference. Some advantages are that if you have kids that would go to that school, it's nice and convenient and close by for any school functions. I don't think that it's a disadvantage in price like being on a busy street or backing up to rail road track may be.