Should I buy a well-priced home in Rossmoor that is one street away from the freeway?

Asked by Smtello77, 90740 Thu Aug 27, 2009

I am in the market to buy a home in either Seal Beach or Rossmoor. The home my husband likes is close to the freeway but is move-in ready and in our price range. The homes in a better location are fixers. This will not be our last home and it is priced well below market value.

Answers

8
Emily Knell, Agent, Huntington Beach, CA
Wed Mar 24, 2010
Did you end up buying a home in Rossmoor? Prices have still come down a bit since August. I just came across your question again as I was managing my profile here on Trulia.

If you'd like a copy of the Rossmoor Community Newsletter that's about to go out in April, let me know. (this is the community newsletter, not a real estate brochure, just so you know) :)

EmilyKnell1@yahoo.com
562-430-3053 cell
Sharon Ander…, Agent, Long Beach, CA
Thu Jun 24, 2010

I am Sharon Anderson, an agent. I have lived in College Park, then Rossmoor for 18 years. My first Rossmoor house was on the freeway wall at 11313 Martha Ann Dr. We sold it two years later at almost 150% of what we paid. We then used all the equity to buy our current home. I would love to tell you all about it. And to be honest unless you are thinking one of the top streets, as long as it is not on a street with broken yellow lines, you are in no worse shape as far as value. Call me anytime. Sharon Anderson 562 858-6299
Sandy Carroll, Agent, Seal Beach, CA
Thu May 27, 2010
Oh let me add... "priced well below market value." Well, probably not, that difference in price is common when you are on a less desirable street or busy corner. If you bought, be prepared to resell at "well below market value" if that time comes.
Sandy Carroll, Agent, Seal Beach, CA
Thu May 27, 2010
Probably not, unless you want to say you live in Rossmoor no matter what the cost. You can get a highly upgraded home on a noisy street, and different parts of that street are much more quiet, for a good price, but be VERY aware that when you sell, you will be on the bottom end of the price range.

And honestly, there is a little stigma, in that area, if you tell people you live in Rossmoor, then when they ask where and you say Martha Ann, for instance, some people put you in a "wanna be" category. Rossmoor is unique because Martha Ann follows the free way so closely.
Thu Aug 27, 2009
What's louder at this moment here on Tucker Ln. isn't the freeway, it's the crickets! :)

emilyknell1@yahoo.com
562-430-3053 cell
Thu Aug 27, 2009
If freeway noise is an issue, just don't buy on Martha Ann! I live on Tucker, just 2 homes from Kensington, which as you know on the other side of that is Martha Ann. Yes I can hear the freeway, just a whooshing sound. Honestly I find it comforting & when I'm in areas where it's completely & totally quiet, it just feels odd.

I was born on Rossmoor's "busy" street, Foster Rd., so I've had it both ways, busier street & closer to the freeway. We have a pool in the backyard so when the spa is draining into the pool or the pool pump or kreepy krawler is on, it drowns out some noise. Seriously though, you just get used to it. If you don't want a home with a pool, then a fountain usually does the trick when sitting on the back patio.

You must be talking about the listings on Quail Run or the West end of Copa De Oro. They're both close to Martha Ann, but not ON it. One of the homes on Quail Run, the owner is taking a bit of a hit, it's the popular Estates model & does have a pool. Needs upgrading, but is in good condition otherwise.

I'm a Rossmoor native & expert in the area. I'm Chairwoman of the Rossmoor (volunteer) Homeowner's Association's Welcome Committee. I hope to meet you sooner, but will surely meet you when you move in!

Feel free to contact me if you'd like the skinny on the best deals in Rossmoor!

emilyknell1@yahoo.com
Dave Osborne, Agent, Orange, CA
Thu Aug 27, 2009
A lot of the answer is depending on how long you are planning on staying there. Rossmoor has weathered this recent downturn far better than many areas in OC. When the market normalizes across all price points, you can be sure that anywhere in Rossmoor is going to be a sound investment. It is no secret that they have some the highest rated schools in the district and it is a very desirable place to live.

I do a lot of work in and follow all activity in Rossmoor very closely. So much so that I think I might even have a good idea of which home you may be looking at. If you want to bounce off some ideas with someone who is very knowledgeable about the area, or find out if a home is a good value based on today's market let me know. You can call me at 714-349-5454 or drop me a line at DaveO@theOCmls.com

Thanks - and good luck!
Web Reference:  http://www.RossmoorsBest.com
Connie Bramb…, Agent, Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Thu Aug 27, 2009
Dear Homebuyer,
You should ask your agent for the comps of homes that are as near the freeway as the one You are looking at. Keep in mind that everything sells for a price. As long as the price is reflective of the fact that it is so close to the freeway you should be fine. there will always be a smaller market for The homes that are in close proximity to the freeway. But that is why the price difference! I think you should buy the home that Best fits your needs. Do you have the money to repair the home in the more desirable location? Will it cost you more to upgrade than the price difference is? Your agent should have already calculated these things for you. It is simple math really. After repairs, is the fixer a better buy than the home by the freeway? Do the math. Then decide for YOU is the price difference worth being close to the freeway? Do you not have the money to make repairs? Then it is a no brainer! Remember you will have the $8000 credit coming if you are a first time buyer or have not owned a home in three years. You can get that money in just about 3 months from purchase. Something to consider!
Connie Bramble
814-337-8718