Should I buy a house with no final inspection in Fairfax, VA. Are there consequences in buying this house?

Asked by fred, Arlington, VA Thu Apr 30, 2009

Answers

11
Brad, Home Buyer, Fairfax County, VA
Thu Jul 30, 2009
Fred,

I too am looking at a VERY (scary) similar house...also in fairfax. The timing of your incident corresponds with the MLS listing date of this same house... any chance you could sync up with me via email (bhiddemen at gmail). Would appreciate it!
None, Home Buyer, Fairfax County, VA
Sat Jul 18, 2009
mthe seller must have a final insepction. otherwise the new onwer will be kickout of the house by the county inspection. My home inspection notifies us the house does not have final inspection such as Resident use permit. he recomends us to call fairfax county. we call fairfax county and they said we can buy the house but we can not live in the house and they put an alter message in the database.
Luisa Rodrig…, Agent, Woodbridge, VA
Sun May 3, 2009
Fred,

We are glad that our answers were able to help you make a decision. It is too bad the sellers were not willing to order the proper county inspections and correct the problem. If they know that it is not up to code (or at least now they know because it came up in your home inspection), they have to disclose this. Even if they are unwilling to disclose it, their agent has to disclose it.

Good luck in your continued search.
fred, Home Buyer, Arlington, VA
Sat May 2, 2009
Thank you everyone for your answers. The owners refuse to get/apply for a final county inspection so we are walking out of the deal. I believe they hope to sell the house to another buyer who will not catch that the construction is not to code. I feel fortunate to having had a very good home inspector which suggested that I verify that the construction had permits and final county inspections.
Vicky Chrisn…, Agent, Purcellvile, VA
Sat May 2, 2009
Yes, now that we have a greater understanding of the situation, plesae ensure the final inspection is completed prior to your purchase. Not doing so could lead to numerous other problems down the road. I am surprised that your real estate agent hasn't explained the potential consequences to you
Web Reference:  http://www.vickychrisner.com
Glenda Cherry, Agent, Herndon, VA
Fri May 1, 2009
I assume by final inspection you're referring to the one related to the addition. Fairfax County has an online inspections database where you can look up the inspection status by permit number. If the final inspection was never done, you should ask the current owner to request it. The Fairfax Inspections Database Online (FIDO) can be found here: http://66.179.23.21/DP1/Metroplex/FairfaxCounty/permit/WIZ_A…
Web Reference:  http://www.GlendaCherry.com
Sonal Goda, Agent, Reston, VA
Fri May 1, 2009
Hi Fred - it is completely the home buyer's responsibility to do their due diligence prior to buying. I would highly recommend that you do a final inspection. Is someone suggesting that you forego the final inspection? Do they have a reason for suggesting this?
Luisa Rodrig…, Agent, Woodbridge, VA
Thu Apr 30, 2009
If there were any major changes made to the property after the 1st home inspection, then a second inspection should follow. For example, if this was a new construction, you would want to do an inspection pre-drywall and then another inspection after the drywall was put up. However, if there were no major changes made to the property, all you need is a final walk through. This is where you walk through the property and make sure it is in the condition that you accepted it in and/or make sure that any items brought up in the home inspection were actually addressed. Ideally the final walk thru should be done right before closing or a day before.
fred, Home Buyer, Arlington, VA
Thu Apr 30, 2009
Thank you. This is a renovated house with a major addition which was added, a normal sale and not AS IS. A home inspection has found no major nor expensive problems, permits were issued and passed inspection, but no final inspection has been done.
Glenda Cherry, Agent, Herndon, VA
Thu Apr 30, 2009
More information would be helpful. Is this new construction? A short sale or foreclosure where the property is being sold "as-is"? Have there been previous inspections?
Vicky Chrisn…, Agent, Purcellvile, VA
Thu Apr 30, 2009
yes. consequences unknown. If you'd like predictable consequences get an inspection. Why would you consider buying without one? Although I see competitiveness, I do not see that level of competitiveness within the market.