Home Buying in Yeadon>Question Details

Val822dances, Home Buyer in Yeadon, PA

Should I always contact the agent listed to show me the property or get my own agent to make arrangements?

Asked by Val822dances, Yeadon, PA Mon May 9, 2011

I'm wondering if the agent on the listing is working for the seller and if it is better to get an agent to look for properties that I may be interested in.

The listing agent works for the seller. His license requires that he work in his clients best interest. No agent can work for the seller's best interest and your best interest; too many of your best interests are directly opposite from each other. Always, always, always use your own agent. 9 times out of 10 the seller is paying a commission to the listing agent, who will pay a part of that commission to your agent through what is called a cooperative agency agreement. There is never a situation where using the sellers agent will benefit you - the only person it will benefit is the sellers agent, who will keep the cooperative payment that your own agent, who would be working in YOUR best interest, would have been paid. Most people buying homes need their agents advice and opinion - if you work with the sellers agent the most service he or she can offer you will be information and assistance. You need your own agent - real estate transactions can be complicated things and you need someone working for you, and you only. If you call the listing agent and let them work both ends of the transactions many times in the end you'll be sorry you did.
I like to sell my own listing. Because I am excited about the property and it potential. I know that the seller is working with me and if I find a buyer and bring in a acceptable offer , it could be less time consuming.

I think if you don't have a agent call the listing agent, you'll be glad you did !
Here's the true anwser ! The listing agent is working for the seller...

The listing agent is familiar with the property and know's how to negotiate with the seller because that agent is working for the seller . Make sense ?

If I am trying to sell you something that I am not familair with, will I be a good negotiator ?

As a Realtor, my job is to negoiate between the buyer and seller. By law I can assist both buyer and seller!

The buyer and seller wins all the time !

The listing agent is not going steer you wrong. He or she is working to get the property sold. If you have an agent already that's great. If you call the listing agent he or she will be so happy to show you their listing and help you buy the property with less hassle than trying to quibble with the price and will get your contract accepted more quicker.

So Yes called the Listing Agent.. If they don't respond quickly enough ,
you can Schedule an appointment online @ http://www.homesappt.com .

And that's the Truth !
Yes, the lsiting agent works for the seller and Yes yes yes you need your own agent!! Interview a few before you go out and pick one that seems to know a lot about buyer issues and represent a lot of buyers. Ask if they have any listings in your price range. Better yet, find an Exclusive Buyer Agent--they do not accept listings.
No matter where you are, call your own agent not the listing agent.
The listing agent contractually represents the seller's interests. And even "viewing" the property with the listing agent (unless done so at an Open House) can unnecessarily complicate the process, if you should decide to make an offer on that property.

You're much better off, in my humble opinion, finding an agent who you like, and trust, to assist you in viewing properties, and help you assess their value and write those offers.

I've found that unattached buyers are often hesitant to use buyer's agents in this way, as they're concerned about "wasting their time", while they're just "looking around". But I can assure you that most agents want you to call them for this task. This is what we do for a living. You will not be wasting our time.
Alan May, Real Estate Pro in Evanston, IL
Hi, I love answwering these types of questions. You should absolutely have an agent representing your needs. The sellers agent always represents the the seller and their best interest only. Don't be fooled by an agent that says they can represent you and the seller, there is no way to properly do this and protect each parties best interest. Anything you say to a sellers agent is supposed to be used to the sellers advantage in a negotiation and the same for a buyers agent representing a buyer.

Christopher Pagli
Licensed Associate Broker
Accredited Buyer Representative
GREEN Designated Agent
William Raveis Legends Realty Group
Good morning Val,

Generally speaking you should have an agent that represents your best interest only. In our area the seller pays the agent's/broker's commission; so why not, have your own representative for free? I'd be happy to represent you and supply you with whatever information availble to help you make a great home purchase. Take a look at our web-site when you have time. Steve
Dear Val,

I (almost) always recommend that buyers work with a buyer's agent. The reason is simple: an agent representing both the buyer and seller inevitably runs into situations where looking out for the interest of one party compromises the interest of the other party.

In addition to that, a competent buyers agent will have knowledge about neighborhoods, negotiating strategies, problem solving skills, and a lot more, all of which will be used to your advantage!

A good buyer's agent will pinpoint exactly what what kind of property you are looking for, and show you what's on the market that fits your needs. It takes all the work off your hands, and into the hands of someone who can do it much more efficiently and effectively (no offense).

Happy hunting,
Web Reference: http://www.vchousehunt.com
The listing agent represents the seller's best interests. It is best to have a good agent of your own and arrange showings through your own agent. Any information a listing agent gains about you, your motivation to buy, your financial situation, etc. is likely to be used to negotiate against you. Never allow yourself to be "represented" by a dual agent claiming to represent both the buyer and the seller in the same transaction.
Web Reference: http://www.NoDualAgent.com
It is always better to have your own agent, one that is loyal to you and does not have an agreement with the seller. I know a good agent near Yeadon, please get in touch with me if I can put you in touch with her. Sincerely, Kim
I will look at properties on my own that have listying agents, but I will never, ever, make an offer direct to a listing agent without being represented by a buyer';s agent. Most of my purchases are researched on the internet or on Sunday open house, I do enough research to know close to what I want. I then show my buyer's agent what I came up with, and then let him review my findings and make suggestions.

David Cooper..Las Vegas Foreclosure Investor in Bank Owned REOs with Cash Flow. email or call for FREE daily list. +1-7024997037 not a real estate agent