Home Buying in Hillsborough>Question Details

Alissa, Home Buyer in Hillsborough, CA

Short Sell

Asked by Alissa, Hillsborough, CA Thu Aug 14, 2008

It is on an acre land and is in a shell state. Looks like the walls are up. Kitchen is gutted and thing believe one bathroom is not complete. Any advice? How can I find out what happened to the house and if there are permits left on the house? They are asking 240,000..do you think we can get a lower bid?

Answers

3
You can get it lower...that is not an issue. Financing is...most banks will not finance a property until it has a CO or Certificate of Occupancy, meaning that it is move-in ready.

I bought a brand new house, knowing that I was putting in my own flooring, counters, and bath, I tried to buy it in a less than finished state, instead I simply had to remove all of the crap to put in my own stuff. More money, more work, and more donations to the local 2nd hand hard ware store.

The bottom line is that while this may look like a great home to try to buy and complete, look at the financing options before you get to deeply involved and start paying contractors and handymen for opinions.

Good look and I hope this helps!!!.

I hope this helps!!!

Respectfully,

Gary De Pury
Broker~Owner
Bay Vista Realty
Tampa, Florida
Chairman, Communications Committee
Greater Tampa Association of REALTORS
Director, Florida Association of REALTORS
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Aug 14, 2008
Thanks for your replies. I should have mentioned that I live in NJ. But I will take everything you both said into consideration!
Alissa,
Go down to the County of San Mateo or the county to which the home is located in,look into the file they have for the house. You will need to give them the address, city and any other info you have. As for the house get a competent licenced contractor to look at the home and he/she will be able to give you the real picture on the condition. As for the price... try a lower number all the bank can do is say "no". You have nothing to loose

Leanne M. Baxter